Cheapest place to buy MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macdaddy4, May 10, 2011.

1. macdaddy4 macrumors newbie

I want to buy a new baseline 15" 2011 MBP, and have been shopping around for prices. The best source of pricing info I could find is here:

http://www.appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/

I am currently in college and elligible for the Education discount, however the tax charges at the Apple Store make purchasing on MacMall or MacConnection much cheaper. I would also like to upgrade to the Hi-Res screen, but that upgrade would cost me over $190 at MacMall (only $100 through Apple, but then I get tax charges). So I am considering forgoing the Hi-Res upgrade for altogether for pricing purposes.

Am I missing anything or is there another way to get a tax-free MBP with regular priced upgrades?

- MacDaddy4

2. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

I know this doesn't answer your problem, but are you going glossy or anti-glare?

3. macdaddy4 thread starter macrumors newbie

either one as long as it is Hi-Res

I'd probably go glossy though...

4. macdaddy4 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. gaps macrumors member

gaps

I've always been a fan of Amazon, less expensive, no tax, and usually free shipping!

6. kjmff5 macrumors regular

Hey I am in the same boat! I've been eying that exact MBP, with the HiRes Glossy screen. My plan is to wait until the Back to School Promo starts with the free iPod Touch 8GB starts, grab that along with the free printer and the college discount. Sell off the iPod and printer to make myself feel better...and hopefully that works out better.
    $1789 MBP 15" HiRes Glossy(already Educational discount)
    $143 Tax(blah)(8%)
    -$150ish for iPod Touch
    -$50ish printer
    Looking at about $1732
    Another thing to look into- tax free weekend. Not all states have them, but some do(Mo does)
    Also, I would say if you are getting a 15", go with HiRes because the screen is just sooo nice.

7. macdaddy4 thread starter macrumors newbie

@BigDukeSix... I only see 2010 models, I'm looking for the new 2011 models

@gaps... I'm looking for a place to get a reasonably priced screen upgrade as well, MacMall has better prices than Amazon

@kjmff5... That's not a bad idea, do you know when the Back-to-School sale typically starts or will start? Tax-free here in Texas only applies to items $100 or less and it is in August... (I'm not very patient :p)

It just seems weird that I can get a baseline 15" MBP for $1650 (tax-free) but it is impossible to add the Hi-Res screen without a large upgrade fee from a reseller or putting my whole system subject to tax by purchasing from Apple.

8. kjmff5 macrumors regular

Hm well I've been looking around and previous people have said it started around May 24 or so last year, so hopefully not to long from now. I would say end of the month is a good estimate. Hopefully you can wait that long.

And it's always easy to buy a base line model, but when you start adding in extra features, I feel like any 3rd party vendor has to "special order" it, hence why it costs so much. They have to make up for the difference of the discounted base price by adding an extreme amount for an upgraded screen. Dunno if that's what really happens but that's how I view it...

9. gaps macrumors member

gaps

@macdaddy4- im not sure if amazon offers the screen upgrade but out the door amazon is less expensive. Macmall's starting price is cheaper but then you have to pay about $200 in taxes which makes it at least $100 more expensive than amazon!