Cheapest place to buy ram.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Qwerty11, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Qwerty11 macrumors regular

I'm wanting to upgrade my iMac to 16gb of ram. Where is the cheapest place to get it. 1066mhz.

2. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

3. rossip macrumors regular

4. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

If you are willing to watch fairly closely you can pick up some ram on ebay for a steal

5. John T macrumors 68020

John T

At the moment, RAM is far from expensive. Why insist on the cheapest? Surely, as with most things, it is far more sensible to buy from a reputable and reliable source.

6. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

7. Flyerphil macrumors newbie

8. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

I just ordered 8 GB from them for my Mid-2011 27". I bought my Seagate Momentus drive from them as well for my macbook.

9. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

I've had nothing but good luck with Newegg. Just make sure to buy a good brand name - Again, I've had good luck over the years with Kingston, PNY, Crucial, and Corsair (the last 2 being my tops picks if all else is equal). I've been working on both PCs and Macs for 10+ years and have used Newegg (almost) exclusively for any parts I buy.

10. JoeBoy73 macrumors newbie

Same here...jumped up to 12GBs with no problems. Works great with the factory\apple RAM out of the box. Cost me a little over $50.

11. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

I prefer OWC, as its very easy to identify your mac model on their website, and they have a wonderful custumer service. Having said that, feel free to get crucial too.

Dont bother looking at any other option.

12. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

*sigh* Corsair was the Rolls Royce of RAM when Crucial was still the peasant option that came in your Compaq. You can't go wrong with them.

Definite don't overpay for OWC. If anything, check out the memory you need from Crucial.com (it's easy) and then copy/paste to Amazon or Newegg. It's not worth overpaying.

13. cobrasneverdie macrumors member

14. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

I haven't checked recently on the pricing, but I have only ever Bought from OWC and the prices at the time were either competitive if not cheaper then anywhere else I looked.

Times may have changed but I always respect good customer service as it is a lost art.

15. Apple2 macrumors member

Apple2

Crucial. Great quality and support. They also have low costs and a downloadable tool to make sure you get the right RAM for your system.