Cheapest place to get a 17" clear Speck case for my MBP???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Summer2000, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Summer2000 macrumors member

If you guys know of any please post some links. I'd like to spend less than $40 if possible.

Thanks,
    Summer2000

2. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

Before you purchase it, watch this link (youtube vid) if you're worried about scratches on your notebook, you should get an invisible skin and a case that really protects. just my 2 € cents.

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Speck sells them for $50, only $10 above your want to spend price. Isn't that extra $10 worth it to protect your $2000 machine?

4. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

That was a macbook. Unless you have a diamond trapped underneath between the speck and the MBP, you arent going to scratch Anodized Aluminum like that....

Just an FYI

5. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Actually the anodized aluminum scratches rather easily.

I have retired my Speck case since it has made a major scratch to the right of the hinge button. It greatly annoys me to pay money for a product that should prohibit scratches yet doesn't work.

6. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

if you follow the instructions they work quite well. My wife has one and several people we know have them and they work great.

My wife's MB (white) still looks good and she's been using a spek case since thanksgiving last year. It has saved a big gash from getting to her MB from one of our kids so it's already paid for itself. Otherwise her MB would have a huge scrap on it, instead the spek case has the scrap.

My guess is that youtube video is of someone who DIDNT follow the directions and they quite deserved their MB to be that damaged if that's the case.

I'm not promoting their product but when using something like this you have to use common sense, read directions, and don't assume.

Common sense - it's not air tight so objects/dust/dirt WILL find it's way into those holes
    Read Directions - it DOES say to periodically take it off and clean to remove said dust/dirt that can get trapped
    Don't Assume - it's not a 'set it and forget it' as per the above statement, it does need cleaning from time to time

ANY snap on skin will be like this, not just a spek case.

7. a4abt macrumors regular

I have a Speck case and removed it because I was worried about heat. I had it on my MBP for 3 weeks and it didn't scratch my notebook as some people said.

I will be looking into an "Incase" shell when they will be available for the MBP, they seem to offer better heat dissipation compared to Speck.

8. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

you are so wrong about that, they can scratch pretty easily :eek: