Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdee1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2012
I know a few months ago, apple dropped the price of the appleTV to $89 and it could be had at that price through best buy or amazon but, it looks like the price is back up to $99.

Does anyone know where I can still get it for the $89 price?

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
If you can't afford one for $99, maybe you just can't afford one!
We're talking about a difference of 5 or 10 bucks here..

hfthomp

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2008
I just picked up a "used" one that was opened in the box on Amazon Warehouse for $70. Got the unit and it is in perfect shape. I would keep my eye out there.

bdee1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2012

not particularly helpful.

----------

I just picked up a "used" one that was opened in the box on Amazon Warehouse for $70. Got the unit and it is in perfect shape. I would keep my eye out there.

very helpful - thanks! I will keep an eye on that as well as the apple store refurbished units.

frodo

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2001
Honestly, check Craigslist. Tons of people buy them thinking they'll do things they won't, or they end up using other devices to do their streaming (PS3, Xbox, etc)... so they're willing to part with them for very reasonable prices. I picked up an ATV2 last month for $75, and it came with an HDMI cable and a full year remaining of AppleCare.

Definitely worth a look - you may have to hunt a bit for a decent deal, but if the need isn't urgent it's a great option.

Bill.the.Cat

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2011

I did this, too. The one I received had more than half a year of AppleCare left.

jdastas

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2008

I would generally agree, but in this case there may be other reasons. I'm looking to pick one up my self on the cheap so I can experiment with it. I want to see if I can truly use this to run programs like Plex, XMBC, icefilms, ect... and really don't want to waste the money if it doesn't work the way I want it to work.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
If experimenting is what you have in mind, then I would pick one up at BestBuy. I have purchased and returned ATV and ATV2 multiple times in the past without restocking fee.

I would always verify prior to opening the box though, you can never be too careful with BB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.