Cheapest Place to get iMac Hard drive replaced?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Woomy123, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Woomy123 macrumors regular

Hi Guys

had a problem with my iMac i had posted a thread on here about it asking if anyone knew how to fix it, i found out the only fix was to reinstall Lion, so i did, whilst it was doing that the hard drive failed and now has completely died on me, so i need a new one. does anyone on here know the best place to get this done? i live in the UK btw and my applecare has expired so apple are out of the question as they would charge more then anywhere else, although i could be wrong i don't no.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you're comfortable doing it yourself iFixit.com offers a kit (hard drive not included) to do it. I think it's $70 or so.

3. Woomy123 thread starter macrumors regular

i would do it myself (after watching hours of video tutorials) but ifixit is a US website i live in the UK

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They ship to the UK...

5. Woomy123 thread starter macrumors regular

i would be charged import tax

6. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Not necessarily. From personal experience, I have found that most companies that service computers either don't want to or aren't capable of servicing Apple machines. Your local Apple approved service provider will give you a competitive quote which won't be any more expensive than the majority. In addition you will have the knowledge that the work has been carried out by someone who knows their way round an iMac - plus a 90 day Apple warranty.

However, if you want to have a go at fixing it yourself, miles01110's suggestion if iFixit is probably the best. Even if you do have to pay any VAT on import, the final cost doesn't usually work out any dearer than a UK purchase.

7. Woomy123 thread starter macrumors regular

i rather get it done by someone who knows what there doing, just spoke to my dad and he knows a guy who owns a company that fixes computers, he said he would do it cheap so all might be ok

8. John T macrumors 68020

John T

You pays your money and you takes your choice!

9. coolspot18 macrumors 65816

Apple should really make the hard drive user serviceable.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

So what? It's still going to be cheaper than having someone do it for you.