Cheapest place to get the LED Cinema Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jardins de Vin, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Jardins de Vin macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

I was looking for 27" LED Cinema Displays online and was surprised how expensive they still are. Those I've seen are up to 3 years old (or more?), sometimes with scratches and cost almost as much as the new thing. I think that's a bit much for a discontinued product…

I would need it for a 5,1 Mac Pro and therefore I can't go with the Thunderbolt Display, because the Mac doesn't have Thunderbolt.
    I'm also scared of buying this display online, I've had an iMac (which I believe uses the same display more or less) and they were known for having display issues. I'm not sure what it's like when there's no computer "behind" the screen, but I see lots of models with pixel and lightning problems for sale for extremely high prices.

I also looked at (Apple) alternatives: like the earlier cinema displays, which also existed in 30" form. They are damn expensive as well…

I know that Apple might release a new display or several new displays in the near future. I don't need ultra high resolution however. It's for music production, so a large screen is of use because I see a lot, and something that is easy on my eyes after many many hours is good as well. So I don't need 4K or something…

I was happy with the 27" from the iMac and would like to have this size again. Even if it can have issues, some sellers give you a warranty and eventually also an extended one, so I would be okay with the 27" Cinema Display. I don't know if I'd like to go with smaller screens. I'm writing from a 15" right now which is fine, but for work… meh.

I didn't really look into non-Apple alternatives and don't really want to tbh, I don't want to buy a screen and realise it's nothing for me although everyone said how great it is and received great scores.

What do you believe where I could get the LCD Cinema Display (27") for the best price? I've read from people here who bought some refurbished in the Apple Store for as low as 400 Euros. I can't seem to find any in any of the Apple Stores…

Thanks a lot!

2. Weaselboy, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

http://www.refurb.me/uk

The only idea I have is to use this service to monitor the refurb store for you. It will send you a notice when the ACD show up in the refurb store. Make sure you go to settings at the top right of the page and select your country first.

3. willydimes macrumors regular

I would say try something like craigslist this way you can try it out but honestly i would consider an alternative. The ATD is nice because you get the thunderbolt hub as a bonus but the cinema display while you get some USBs isn't as useful plus I have heard stories of the displays failing and replacing the panel is just as much as a new ATD.

But i agree they are insanely high for how old they are and IMHO not worth the risk at the price that a failure may occur. If i were to spend the money I would grab something different a save a few bucks and get a nicer monitor. But if you want an apple display I would look for the 30 inch one which should cost a bit less than a used 27 ACD.

EDIT: I see you said euros, sorry about that but perhaps something similar exists where you are where you can try it in person

4. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

This is funny, I was actually thinking that someone should do a site exactly like this haha! The only thing missing would be an option to be notified when there's one available in other countrie's stores as well. I have family in so many neighbour countries, it's so close and I could be missing a good deal :)

I'm starting to have my doubts as well…*I don't need Thunderbolt really, I wouldn't mind such a display however if the price was good and was compatible with my Mac Pro, which it isn't. :( Maybe I would even be ready to pay the full price, if I could also get Apple Care with 3 years warranty, but at the moment there's no way to buy a new Apple display for the classic Mac Pro, it sucks I guess.
    the 30" would be nice although it's still expensive, even for ones with heavily damaged cases and technical problems, I don't get this…

I'll open a new thread, CD vs. old CD :)