cheapest plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nownot, Jun 1, 2008.

1. nownot macrumors regular

ok so when the new iphone hits the streets im going to switch from verizon to at&t and start paying my own bill. What im looking at is the cheapest monthly way to go. I talk more than 450 min and pretty sure I use more than 200 text/pic messages a month. Looking at the plans it looks like im going to have to go with 79.99 + 15 to bump up the txt. So 95$, but this cant be the cheapest, thats alot of dough just for cell phone. If anyone has any ideas pls share. Also might want to get the family plan with my brother, any ideas there? This just seems like its going to cost more than it should, but thats the way most bills end up like I guess. Thanks for any input.

p.s. i am a student and employed part time by the university, not sure if i get a discount though

2. neven macrumors 6502a

Sounds about right, unless you want to chance it and unlock the phone for a different provider (my 2c: I wouldn't)

It sure is. Except you're not getting just a cellphone. You're getting a smartphone with unlimited data usage and unlimited text messaging.

The cheapest plan is $59.99. The reason it's the cheapest plan is you get 450 minutes and 200 text messages :)

3. nownot thread starter macrumors regular

wow i did some research and my university has a partnership with at&t so i get 12-15% discount on plans ....... YES!!!!!!!

and this works for students and employees.

4. Corbet macrumors member

Can't be used with an iPhone plan.

5. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I thought they changed this?

6. viggen61 macrumors 6502

1) If you talk more than 450 min/mo, is it all "daytime" calling? If any of it is between 9PM & 6AM, or 9PM Fri to 6AM Mon, that's all Nite/Weekend, which you get 5 thousand minutes of with the low plan.

2) If any of the people you regularly call are also AT&T Mobile users (you'd have to ask them), those calls are free...

3) find out if you are exceeding 200 SMS/mo (look at the bills!). Also, if you are exceeding that, are you then exceeding 300/mo? If it's 15 cents/message for messages over the included 200, then you have to send or receive an additional 100 messages/month to justify the extra $15. So, if you're only a little bit over 200 messages/mo it's cheaper to not add the extra $15 to your plan.

It's easier to add onto your plan than it ever will be to take stuff off the plan. You might be able to get by with the $59.99 plan alone, plus a little overage here and there rather than commit yourself to the $79.99 + $15 for two years.

Whatever you do, take a look at your current usage before committing to the higher plan.

:apple::apple:

7. nownot thread starter macrumors regular

its not a discount on the hardware but the phone plan excluding the data. so 1400 family plan is 77.99 plus the data plan 1500 text is 30. this works on b/c its a normal plan with the data plan, the discount is on your minute plan not hardware or data plan.

8. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

what minutes you don't use you will have rollover for those months you need them. i have many friends and family with AT&T and use a lot of unlimited mobile to mobile so 450 a month is plenty for me with about 1400 rollover minutes banked so far.
    You can always change your voice plan to meet your needs after a couple months.

9. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Also keep in mind it's $5 a month for unlimited messaging to other AT&T mobile subscribers.

Then all you have to do is convert everyone you know.

10. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

If you already have a plan you like, can't you just add the data package? That's what I plan on doing... I have been out of contract with AT&T for over 2 years, and when I finally get my iphone this month I will just add the data plan to my ancient, super cheap plan. Hopefully it will work, anyway.