Cheapest possible insurance for 16 year old

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ElectroGhandi, May 25, 2009.

1. ElectroGhandi macrumors regular

ElectroGhandi

I am poor (look at my signature, my best Mac is G4 PowerBook), unemployed, and 16 years old. I already have a car, but I need to find insurance on the cheap. I don't want any extraneous coverage, just what I need to drive legally. It needs to be cheap as hell, otherwise I won't be able to afford it.

Where do I look?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

depends on the car, your history, your credit, yourage, your gender, where you live, how many cars you have, features on your car, etc

in short, shop around

progressive
    allsate
    statefarm
    geico
    american family
    etc

as for you being poor and pointing at your sig, made me laugh as thats way more than i had at 16 (i had no computer lol)

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

No such thing as cheap insurance for a 16 year old.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

op: are you currently driving uninsured?

are you seeking work? that helps with the bills lol

5. ElectroGhandi thread starter macrumors regular

ElectroGhandi

Well I wasn't poor when I got them but my dad got laid off.

I have a 1994 Isuzu Rodeo SUV. We have 2 other cars (96 Nissan Sentra and 99 Ford Taurus). I am male, and do not have credit, but my parents' is very good. Live in Maryland.

6. ElectroGhandi thread starter macrumors regular

ElectroGhandi

I am currently driving my dad's insured Sentra. The Rodeo is sitting there at the moment.

Yes I am seeking and am unsuccessful.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Your cheapest option will be for your dad to add you to his policy. As a 16 year old, it won't be cheap.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

interesting point

can a 16yo get insurance for themselves? i want to say you have to be 18 and until then you have to get it via your parents name

im not sure though

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Agreed, that way, you would be taking advantage of the multi-car discount.

Plus, I'm not even sure if a 16 year old can buy an insurance policy on their own. You might have to be 18 for that.

10. ElectroGhandi thread starter macrumors regular

ElectroGhandi

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

about?

yes, if you lie and the insurance company finds out after a claim, they may choose to not pay out

defeats the whole point of having insurance, other than provinding proof if you get pulled over for speeding or whatnot

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Like an insurance company can't find out your age. :rolleyes:

13. ElectroGhandi thread starter macrumors regular

ElectroGhandi

Like if I said I was 45 or something :p

I'm not looking for extravagant policies. I want it so if I get in an accident, I don't get a check, but if I get pulled over, I don't go to jail :)

14. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

16 years old?

Can you even get insurance at that age? Or do you have to be enrolled in your parents' plan?

That might be the easiest way to go until you have a few driving years under your belt and qualify for a good driver discount on your own, and are out of the high risk age bracket.

If you can get on your parents' plan there would be a multi-car discount, and some companies will give you a cheaper rate if your parents have a good driving record because they assume that your parents have passed on their sagely driving advice to you. Also, if you are a good student, some companies have a good student discount if you have a certain minimum GPA. Or, if you went to a driving education program of some sort - that can also help get you discounts.

15. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I agree with the previous posters. Check into getting insurance with your parent's policy. The multiple line and a good student discount can make a world of a difference. While you are looking around, it might not be a bad time to have your parents shop around as well. It's a nice bit of leverage when you can walk into their current insurance company and say "Someone else offered us the same rate for all three as you are charging for two cars."

Also be sure you have the right insurance and not just the cheapest.

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

to my understanding, the insurance reps can not adjust rates on their own so there is no leverage to be had if you find a better deal with someone else and try to get the same with the current provider

17. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

Definitely.

It's amazing how much a company will agree to negotiate if you tell them you found a cheaper rate elsewhere.

18. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

What you want then, is liability only insurance; however, it's risky. If you are ever the cause of an accident, your property, medical, and legal will not be covered.

Also, check to see if you qualify for a good student discount.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No, not at all. It's only insurance fraud and punishable with jail time. Not a bad idea at all, I highly recommend it :rolleyes:

20. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

I switched to statefarm about a year and a half ago. The lady who i talked too at the local branch put me down as 23 when i was 21 about to turn 22. She said it would save me some money. Then when i became a father i called her to tell her i was a parent to see if i could get another discount. She said my age on insurance was different from my driver's license. She changed it to my correct age and put me down as a parent. Saved me about $23 a month.

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

thats the only way they can change rates...by editing facts aka lying

changing a cars trim to a non sportier trim is common as well

agents cant change rates, they can only fudge the facts. that aspect of insurance agents trying to get customers is sickening to me

22. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

We just added my 17 year old daughter to our policy. She pays us the additional $30 per month that they upped our policy. We, of course, put her on the cheapest/safest vehicle, but she can drive any of them.

When I started driving we only had liability insurance. It made no sense to have any more than that because the car wasn't worth the increased payments per month for comprehensive/collision, and my dad had me on his health insurance.