Cheapest possible solution with 10.5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sebb630, Mar 5, 2009.

1. sebb630 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone

I'm new here and I want to introduce me to Macs. (I bought an iPhone 3G in July)

I want to do things I can't do with my PC like iWork, iLife, PhotoBooth, etc...

So my question is :

I want to buy a Mac (I already have the monitor, keyboard and mouse), the cheapest possible way, who can run 10.5. I ask the question because I don't know if I need 1,2,4Gb? Old Intel IGP or NVidia? C2D 1,8 or 2? I want decent performances (but still the cheapest possible way)

I live in Canada (Canada Apple Store don't have a lot of interesting refurbs), the generation of the mac is not really important (I can live with an old-gen mini or imac or macbook).

You can ask me questions if you want, I will try to respond as best as I can for precise my needs.

Thanks a lot

Sebastien

EDIT : I started to make some researches, and what I found is the newgen Mac Mini (3-3-9), base model, with a 2Gb upgrade... is this the cheapest way to get a Mac with decent performances?

2. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

You can get something cheaper, but I say go with the just released MacMini.

It will have all the software you're looking for that an older model may not have (Leopard, the newest iLife, etc) and it will give you a better user experience, as well.

3. sebb630 thread starter macrumors newbie

I started to make some researches, and what I found is the newgen Mac Mini (3-3-9), base model, with a 2Gb upgrade.

Does the 2Gb upgrade worth the cost? Does 1Gb is enough??

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Buy the RAM from another dealer, not Apple. Apple overcharges for the RAM upgrades.

5. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Just know that if you do buy the RAM from a third party you'll have to be comfortable opening up the Mini and installing it yourself

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says.....if it is within your budget then just get the new mini - it'll do the trick and give you more good years of service (and perhaps future OS upgradeability). Another alternative may be to check your local "for sale" places like craigslist (with the usual 'be careful' caveats!)....oh yeah!

7. sebb630 thread starter macrumors newbie

Fine! Thanks for all the advices! That's really appreciated!

I'll probably go for the new Mac Mini, base model, with 1Gb of RAM.

If I see slow speeds or anything like that, I'll look for 2Gb (or 4 in the future?) upgrade, I'm okay to open those little beasts (I had one at school!).

Another question : if I decide to buy the RAM from another dealer, should I look for a specific brand/MHZ/latency/anything else of memory?

8. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

1GB will be enough to run the stuff you mention comfortably, but you'll appreciate 2GB a lot more (especially since it will boost your VRAM, too).

And as was mentioned earlier, the Mini's not the easiest machine Apple makes for self-installed RAM upgrades, so make sure you buy it pre-installed if you don't want to open it up yourself.

But yes, the consensus is the new MacMini with 2GB of RAM should do you well and not break the bank.

9. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Most people seem to be happy with the cheapest stuff Newegg offers, which seems to be Corsair.

10. sebb630 thread starter macrumors newbie

DDR2 800 is the thing to buy?

Another question (lol) : is Online Apple Store the best place to buy? I looked at some local stores (like Best Buy, etc... I don't have an Apple Store in my city) and they sell it way higher (and they don't have the new macs too!)

11. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

You want 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM if it's the brand new Mini you're buying.

Apple is probably your best bet for a brand new release, since it will be a while before anyone else has it.

Sometimes, Amazon has rebates or places like MacMall or MacConnection will throw in free RAM, however.

12. Turmoil macrumors regular

The Mini's are nice. I have two and am lusting after another :)

13. sebb630 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I looked at MacMall and MacConnection, today they have similar price as Apple Store.

I found (I think) a store, CDW, who sell the base mini with the 2gb upgrade for the same price as the base without the memory (729$ CAN), but I pay shipping, and I don't pay shipping at Apple store.

Also, this shop is weird as I can't make a total price before adding my credit card number... I want to know if they charge PST (I don't know this info with Apple Store too)!

14. sebb630 thread starter macrumors newbie

BTW... what's the difference within MB463LL/A and MB463C/A? Only the language? Don't they come with English AND french pre-installed???

15. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I think the second one might come with French as it's main language out-of-box.

16. scubasteve03 macrumors regular

????

I was wondering if you could put 2-2gbs of ram in the new mini.
    And about the ram, newegg.com has 2gb crucial sticks for $23 in the DDR3.
    Make sure you are getting notebook, not desktop ram. I have literally
    Read 25-50 perfect crucial reviews. I just put 4gb in my MB Alu and it's so much faster while using VM.Fusion.
    My best bet would be wait till you can get one as a refurb. If I would of waited 2 months. I could have gotten the MBP instead of MB. Either way you can get really addicted to this stuff

17. sebb630 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac Mini is NB Ram (Sodimm?) DDR3 1066??

And if I buy a french system, can I put it in english? And vice-versa?

18. sebb630 thread starter macrumors newbie

19. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You should be able to change the language fairly easily.

20. sebb630 thread starter macrumors newbie

Fine fine! That's nice because I found a french one with 2Gb free!

Again, thanks for all your advices!

21. sebb630 thread starter macrumors newbie

Finally, after 2 months of hesitating and searching, I bought my FIRST MAC!

Mac Mini 03-03-09, base model, with a 2Gb upgrade from newegg (for a total of 3Gb), with iWork.

Thanks for all of your advices, and I'm really happy to be a new mac!!!

I ordered it yesterday and waiting for it! I'm really happy!