Cheapest Repairs for uMBP Water Damage?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blunderboy, Oct 21, 2010.

1. blunderboy macrumors 6502

So, I was packing two days ago, and I bumped some water that was sitting on my windowsill, which unfortunately fell all over my 3-month-old 13" MBP. (I'm typing this on a PowerBook that I got today to use as a stopgap machine until this is fixed.) I took it into Apple, and they're saying that they'll fix it for $755 plus tax. Since this is over 1/2 the price of a new MBP, and I don't have that kind of money lying around for that, do you guys know of anywhere else that's CERTIFIED and will repair Mac logic boards? I'm googling around, and I see some options, but I'm not exactly sure who's best and who's not. I found out about a guy in Canada who fixes these logic boards for about $240, but he's not an AASP, and if I get my MBP fixed by him, I won't be able to have my Apple warranty reinstated. :/ I just don't know.

2. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

There must be certified apple repair people in CA. You may want to run this by one of them and see what they say about cost. I'd rather bring my computer into someone I can see and talk to rather than shipping to some distant site.

3. blunderboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah. San Francisco isn't that bad when it comes to Apple repairs. I know some of them are kind of ridiculously expensive, but it really depends. I'm just combing through Yelp reviews and websites to see who's got the best prices.