Cheapest route to a new MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dellavoce, Jan 19, 2013.

1. dellavoce macrumors regular

Well, my Mac mini, I fear, is on its last legs. It's about three years old, is as slow as molasses, the combo drive doesn't work anymore, and just plain doesn't "act right" at times. It's not too upsetting as the mini was me dipping my toe in the Mac computer world and I really want a Macbook now, but as we are wedding planning at the moment, it's not the best time to go out and buy a new computer. Any suggestions on where to find one (pro or air is fine with me) for less?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

I'll second that. I know a few people who have bought their Mac from the Apple Refurb Store, and they've had absolutely no problems, and saved a few hundred quid in the process!

4. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

If you cant afford it right now wait, there is little sense to buying something you cant afford at the wrong time in your life, clean up your mini and make it work for a little while longer. And Google Dave Ramsey

5. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Buy off CL - I have scored some real deals including my MBP thats in my sig.

6. iaymnu macrumors 6502

One has to do their homework before buying off CL. It is safer buying apple refurb or you can try best buy open box if they have.
    Not bashing CL but approach carefully.

7. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

That is certainly true - you will be fine with common sense and little understanding about computers. Certainly not the "safest" but certainly the "cheapest". There are always exceptions of course.

8. ybz90 macrumors 6502a

ybz90

CL can be hit or miss (mostly miss) in that the vast majority of computers there are stupidly overpriced, but every now and then, you can find a gem.

Besides used on CL if you have the savvy, 1. Apple refurb (especially if you don't have sales tax in your state) and 2. Amazon.