Cheapest single slot video card for MP 1,1?

CoryTV

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
Hey, I just upgraded to a 4870/clovertown MP 1,1 special, and I'm also looking to add a 3rd monitor-- so I need a new video card, but I only have 1 slot left open, so it needs to be a true single-slot card.

I'm just trying to figure out the cheapest card I can put in there and it will work. (Ironically selling my old x1900 on ebay right now, but it's no good to me...)

Cory

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
2nd on the 2600XT.

Only single slot Mac card that just works on all machines. (3870 does too now that I think of it, but 3870 needs power and you are out of outlets)

Used on Ebay for $100 or so.

Or try Craigslist, sometimes you get lucky. HAS TO BE A MAC ONE.....reg PC one isn't going to help except in WIndows.

Comment

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
The 3870 Mac&PC Edition is a pretty good choice and it definitely runs on optical bay power due to low demand. The only problem is a fairly noisy fan when you drive it at higher performance.

Comment

CoryTV

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
I actually have both power outlets open. I ran a molex y from the optical bay through the case, under the fan assembly, so both connectors are open... So I can suppose "whichever of these listed" I can find cheapest, then...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mac-ATI-2600XT-...emQQptZPCC_Video_TV_Cards?hash=item4cec87d18c

I see this guy is selling a flashed 2600 XT.. Any info on where to get the right rom? I flashed my 4870 with no issues (that weren't a dumb mistake on my part) so if I could find a good rom, I could pick up a PC 2600 for like $20. Any idea where to find?

Comment

68topls

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2009
I got one if you need it

I have a 2600XT if your interested. It's from my upgraded mac pro and works fine.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.