Cheapest single slot video card for MP 1,1?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by CoryTV, Dec 9, 2009.

1. CoryTV macrumors member

Hey, I just upgraded to a 4870/clovertown MP 1,1 special, and I'm also looking to add a 3rd monitor-- so I need a new video card, but I only have 1 slot left open, so it needs to be a true single-slot card.

I'm just trying to figure out the cheapest card I can put in there and it will work. (Ironically selling my old x1900 on ebay right now, but it's no good to me...)

Cory

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The bare minimum that I would look at today is the Radeon HD 2600 XT.

3. MacVidCards Suspended

2nd on the 2600XT.

Only single slot Mac card that just works on all machines. (3870 does too now that I think of it, but 3870 needs power and you are out of outlets)

Used on Ebay for $100 or so.

Or try Craigslist, sometimes you get lucky. HAS TO BE A MAC ONE.....reg PC one isn't going to help except in WIndows.

4. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

The 3870 Mac&PC Edition is a pretty good choice and it definitely runs on optical bay power due to low demand. The only problem is a fairly noisy fan when you drive it at higher performance.

5. CoryTV thread starter macrumors member

I actually have both power outlets open. I ran a molex y from the optical bay through the case, under the fan assembly, so both connectors are open... So I can suppose "whichever of these listed" I can find cheapest, then...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mac-ATI-2600XT-...emQQptZPCC_Video_TV_Cards?hash=item4cec87d18c

I see this guy is selling a flashed 2600 XT.. Any info on where to get the right rom? I flashed my 4870 with no issues (that weren't a dumb mistake on my part) so if I could find a good rom, I could pick up a PC 2600 for like $20. Any idea where to find?

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It has driver support on the Windows side and it's a good OS X card as well. They're getting rarer to find.

7. 68topls macrumors newbie

I got one if you need it

I have a 2600XT if your interested. It's from my upgraded mac pro and works fine.