Cheapest SSD Available?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RudyGrow, Mar 2, 2010.

1. RudyGrow macrumors regular

Okay, so I've decided to use the SSD route for my June 2009 Macbook Pro. I was wondering which brand has the cheapest one. I only need about 50 GB or so as it will be my boot drive with some other programs on it.

I was also wondering when you all think SSD's will become cheaper than they are today because if I only have to wait a year for a steep price drop, I would.

2. kevinws macrumors member

I have a Intel 40 GB X25V in my Dell Mini 10v. It is a bit on the slow side for an ssd. But it still feels much faster than my old spinning harddirve. You can get it for about 127.00 at Amazon. Its a Intel so it is one of the best SSDs around now. If you buy it don't forget to update the firmware on it. With OSX, my music, iWork, Pro Presenter and Open Office I still have 20gb free.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

To be honest the cheaper ones apparently slow down over time.

I went with an OCZ Agility and it is still working great after nearly 10 months. It wasn't that expensive either.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You certainly get what you pay for and I'd go OCZ or Intel. I wouldn't bother with any other brand.

5. cube macrumors G5

6. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Prices are always going to continue to drop and performance is going to increase. Sure, if you wait a year, you will get a better drive for less money. Nobody can answer how much cheaper that will be or if it is worth it for you to wait. The improvements over the last year have been relatively minor though, and the price drops not as significant as many people hoped.

I like the Intel 40GB drive mentioned, as well as the Dane-Elec 1.8" 80GB Intel G1 drive with 2.5" adapter offered for a good price at Newegg. I gather that OCZ is making acceptable drives now, but I still think they push new drives out to the market way too soon, relying on paying customers to do the beta testing. Kingston may be another brand to look at, as their drives are made by Intel.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Here is list of from cheapest to most expensive SSDs in NewEgg.

I second jessica though, you don't want a crappy SSD don't you? Intel and OCZ are definitely worth it

8. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

When referring to OCZ, that means the Vertex or Agility - just to clear that up. :)

9. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

LOL? "only a year" Then go ahead and wait. Whats the point of the question if you have a year long time line?

Im going to guess that they will be less than half of what they are now in a year.

10. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

I'll definitely wait when new MBPs come out.. SSDs are still too expensive imo. Aren't they kind of overpriced for what they are as well? (technology wise)

11. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Definitely not. A ssd should be bought as a performance upgrade, and as such, it's one of the best expenditures you can make to improve a computers performance.

12. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Agreed, my OCZ SSD is the fastest upgrade I have even done to any computer. For the price I paid it was definitely worth it.

13. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Does Mac OS support TRIM?

Not worth getting an SSD that dosn't either have it or can be upgraded via Firmware to it.

14. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

As of yet I don't think OS X supports TRIM.

15. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

No, it doesn't, however the real world difference with a drive with a proper controller is effectively nil. I have a G1 Intel with over a year of use that is still as fast as day 1.

16. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Read an intresting article about TRIM, sure put me off buying an SSD that didn't have it yet.

There all Still a bit pricey for mere mortals such as myself though.

17. Big Boss Man macrumors regular

Intel and Micron have a joint venture for developing SSDs and they will be releasing their next generation of SSDs later this year. I am waiting for those models before buying my first SSD. I recommend reading the articles over at http://www.anandtech.com/ to get an idea of where SSD technology is and where it is going.