Cheapest USB Bluetooth for iMac G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by SkippyThorson, Mar 29, 2011.

1. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

I've been on the hunt for quite a while, and managed to get one of those .99 cent jobs from Japan. (last year, pre-disaster) It's this one:
    [​IMG]

Taking a shot in the dark, and figuring it wouldn't work with a Mac, guess what? No dice. I actually tried it on an XP PC and there was some sort of error. My iMac didn't even recognize it, and seemed to care less if it was even plugged in or not. I tried a reboot, and shockingly, my iMac wouldn't get past the grey screen and boot to the desktop when it was plugged in.

I told the seller, and he sent a second one (free, nice guy), but it had the same results across the board. Oh well, $1 for 2 dead USB things, one less cheeseburger I didn't need. (I didn't try it under Vista or 7 though - maybe it does actually work.)

Wondering if anyone has had success with a really cheap USB Bluetooth adapter for PPC Macs? Namely, the iMac G4.

2. iLucas macrumors 6502

Hello there!
    Is that an Iogear one?
    If not, I use Iogear bluetooth usb dongle and it works wonderful on my G5 and my G4, I didn't have to install drivers or anything. The dongle was $5

3. stroked Suspended

stroked

I bought one off ebay for my Quicksilver, and it works slow, but fine. It was about $3, 4 x the size of yours, and translucent blue.

4. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

I'm pretty sure all the D-Link dongles work perfectly on Mac but it's hard to beat 99 cents. :) I believe most are $15-20.

5. SkippyThorson thread starter macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

iLucas, I am fairly certain it is indeed an Iogear one. I can only say fairly certain because it arrived in a manilla envelope, which included nothing but this USB dongle in an extremely tiny zip-lock bag that actually amused me more than the device itself. It had a barcode on it, and a number. No name, and no nothing else.

Stroked, I saw plenty of those colored larger USB devices, and I didn't think they would work if mine didn't. I may have to look through it more. $3 is still reasonable!

Zen, I believe you are correct. I have heard that basically all D-Link ones work for Mac.

6. iLucas macrumors 6502

Well it doesnt look like the one i use, but indeed it could be iogear.
    i use this one
    [​IMG]
    I purchased it on Amazon.com if you're interested in one.

7. SkippyThorson, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011

SkippyThorson thread starter macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

I take it back, I thought that it was an Iogear. Turns out, I think it's from a company I never heard of, called USB Fever. The one I have, the original version anyway, is the first generation of this device from 2008.

It's still on their website, for $10. I actually read a small article about USB Fever's device, praising its size. However, one of the features was an LED status light. Mine has no such light, leading me to believe it's just another Japanese knock-off of an already cheap device.