Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmreyes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2010
Hi All,

New here. I accidentally soaked my 2g iPhone in water when I slipped in a river. Its been more than a week now and it hasn't turned on since. I've lost all hope now.

I'm currently trying to find the best deal on a new 8 gig iPhone 3g that I will be using overseas. It will be jailbroken and unlocked..
Any suggestions?

My ideas so far:
1) Seen some on eBay going for $330 new (no box and manual, just the phone, the charger and headphones). Saw one seller who has it for $380 new with everything. Im really tempted on getting one. I've also seen several sellers who have them anywhere from $330-$400 new. Are these real, legit iPhones? Buyer feedback is mostly positive. Any concerns about ebay iPhone i should be aware of?

2) I am also thinking of purchasing one directly from the Apple store. How much will the $99 8 gig iPhone 3g be after all the voice+data+text plans? How does the termination work so i can use it overseas? Will this route save me money over getting one from eBay?

Any thoughts on what im trying to do?

Thanks everyone.

JosephBergdoll

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2009
NYC
I dunno how you get one of those for way cheap, but I heard that you can easily snag iPhone 4G's off of barstools at your favorite haus of brew.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
If you wait till after the release of the rumoured new iPhone, then I would imagine the prices of the 3G would drop.

pbkiller

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2007
Puerto Rico
There's also the option with Apple, they can service a phone that's out of warranty for $199, but the drawback is that they will give you another 2G iPhone. If you try to buy new, most likely it will come with version 3.1.3, although this version is jailbreak-able, it hasn't been unlocked yet so most likely it's better for you to try to get hold of an iPhone with version 3.1.2.
Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.