Cheapest way to allow customer file storage...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by waloshin, Oct 7, 2016.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

What is the cheapest way to offer clients access to files online such as photos? Would hosting be the cheapest or running a nas? Every customer would need their own folder, username and password for secure access.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Checkout Smugmug, I think they offer something along the lines of password protecting image galleries.

3. organicCPU macrumors 6502

organicCPU

Take a look at the free community edition of Pydio! If you're already paying for a hosting package with enough space, traffic-limit, PHP, MySQL, SSH and preferably SSL, just install it there. Make sure that the provider doesn't forbid self-installed file-sharing services.
    If configuring a NAS at home with dynamic DNS, Pydio, a bundled file-sharing or a simple ftp solution is going to make sense, will heavily depend on the speed of your internet connection and the users habits and expectations.

4. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

What is the bare minimum Synology Nas to run Pydio at a decent speed.

5. 960design macrumors 68020

ownCloud for a server you own ( small number of clients < 1000 )?

6. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Under 1000

7. organicCPU macrumors 6502

organicCPU

I've no experience running Pydio on a NAS. I just made installs in shared hosting and development environments. As shared hosting usually has quite limited computing resources for each user, I'd expect that even the cheapest recent Synology would somehow work for average needs. For the enterprise edition of Pydio a 4 core processor is recommended.
    As Pydio is AFAIK no standard package for Synology, there might be standard solutions for Synology that are more common and easier to set up. Nevertheless there are users on the Pydio Community Forum that managed to run it on a Synology NAS.

8. 960design macrumors 68020

Look up ownCloud.. easy to setup in a *nix environment and might be just what you are looking for.
    To clarify, it can certainly handle more than 1000 clients. I don't think it is a good idea to try pushing that many clients on a single server instance ( home and/or small business ( local ) setup ).

https://owncloud.org/
    --- Post Merged, Oct 11, 2016 ---
    What is your use case for 'clients access to files online such as photos'?

I've created hosted websites for professional photographers / artists, but the client hit rate is very low. Less than 1000 views an hour. Hosted sites are simple and very inexpensive, you can throw some wix stuff or wordpress plus plugins for next to nothing. Custom builds can cost quite a bit more, but give that personalized customer experience and the best thing is the backend is customized for you. Plugins can look great to the customer, but are often hell on the proprietor.

There are many ways to handle your needs.

PS. It was the combo of photos and files that created my 'ownCloud' thought thread.

9. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

I do photo scanning and would like to upload the first 100 photos of every photo scanning order online for my customers to share and download.

10. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

What would be better? Buying a computer like a used HP Elite 8000 (link) with an Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 3.1 Ghz processor 4 gigabytes of ram and adding FreeNas or similar Linux OS. Or buying a Synology Nas.

11. organicCPU, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016

organicCPU macrumors 6502

organicCPU

For such an online order/download system why not use a dedicated online shop software? Magento for example should be able to sell downloads. Set the price to zero for the first 100 images. If there is an easy way to restrict a certain file/folder to a certain client/group you'll need to find out.
    If NAS or PC noone can answer. It depends on your favor. NAS - as easy as possible / therefore limited possibilities. Linux-PC - easy if you've got the skills / almost unlimited possibilities.