Cheapest way to buy a MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by February1088, Feb 21, 2010.

1. February1088 macrumors member

Okay so I have my eyes set on the 13'inch MBP. I heard that it will refresh soon and I will be happy to wait for that refresh.
    Assuming the new refresh will not change the price but only update the hardware.
    Currently, the MBP costs $1200, and with a student discount, I can get it for $1100. During the summer, my school does occasional sales of MBP for $1000 or MBP + iTouch or something like that. But even $1000 is a price I would be unhappy to pay.

Now, after the refresh hits, I heard from people that the current MBP (which will be outdated then) will go to the Refurb stores. Can someone confirm this? Its strange that they send "never been used new" products to a Refurb store.

So my question is, if the current models go to the Refurb store, what do you estimate the price to be? $800~900?

I actually saw a new White Macbook, because of the refresh, Microcenter was selling it for $800 ($200 off the original price) and some other sales as low as $740. Some people on slickdeals forums were talking about open box white macbook can be as low as $640 in that Microcenter. (Thats $360 off the original price!)

Should I hope to buy it at an Apple Refurb store or should I wait for another MicroCenter type of deals after the MBP refreshes some time soon?

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

3. February1088 thread starter macrumors member

I should have mentioned I don't want a used one

4. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

New ones left over will go to the clearance store i would expect $999 but if they update the 13 to I3 or better spend the extra $ it will be well worth it!

5. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

As discussed before, dont expect anything less than $999.

6. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

I'm not 100% sure on this, but even after the refresh, you're not guaranteed an unopened one from the refurb store. I think it's just luck of the draw. But even so, refurb ones come with the same warranty and the opportunity to purchase AppleCare, so they basically are "new".

7. February1088 thread starter macrumors member

So they just throw in the new as unused but older models of MBP on the Refurbished shelf? That doesn't seem right seeing how the word Refurbished implies that it was a machine that was used previously, and fixed up / polished up, and sold as a semi-used machine

8. caonimadebi macrumors regular

be very careful and eBay will be your best bet. Watch out for big discount such as Bing cashback and eBay coupons (generally you can only use them on Buy It Now items; but most new items on eBay are BIN anyway).
    I have purchased many Macs and Applecare policies through eBay, all without problems.

9. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

Yes, they're not going to just throw whatever they have left away.

10. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

There are two sections of the store of interest to you:

refurbished = includes in some way the box was opened all the way up to used for some time

clearance = new, sealed in box but previous generation

11. February1088 thread starter macrumors member

Sweet! I didn't know they had a clearance section. This is what I want. How much price do you estimate on the older models of MBP after the new ones come out? Is it combinable with a student discount?

12. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

They dont always go to the clearance section. It depends on how many they have. I dont think it can be combined with the student discount and the price will be higher than a refurbished computer.