Cheapest way to buy iPhone initially?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Warstrong, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Warstrong macrumors newbie

So here's the situation: My dad said he'd buy me (and himself and my brother) an iPhone when he gets a job, which he expected would happen by February or so. I really need to have this thing by March at the latest. Since Verizon came out saying that they're ready to support the iPhone, I've been worrying that he's secretly decided to wait until the Verizon iPhone comes out. SO, I've been thinking of points to bring up so that I can get this thing before March, and this is what I've got so far:
    -You said you'd get it shortly after Christmas...
    -AT&T is perfect in my town and I don't really go out of town
    -Verizon might not even pick up iPhone and they don't support GSM yet, only CDMA, which limits you to one network operation at once
    -Only $50 for a 16GB 3GS, I'll pay for the iPhone itself
    I'd appreciate if anyone has a suggestion, whether it be another reason for him to buy it before March or a completely alternative route, I'd love to hear it. Thanks in advance!
    :apple:=awesome.
    EDIT: I'd also like to mention that the options you get on this page don't make any sense:
    http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/packages/iphone-packages.jsp?source=ICipK1ipc00jtlpo
    (hmmm, the refurbished 8GB 3G for $50 or the refurbished 16GB 3GS for $50...)
    EDIT 2: Just realized another point:
    -The Verizon iPhone won't be jailbreakable until a few months after it comes out

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Why do you need it before March? If anything wait until June and get whatever new iPhone gear comes out. I love these "help me convince my parents to buy me something" threads. Sorry kid, we can't really help you much.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Take out the trash, keep your room clean, wash the cars etc....
    That should help.

4. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

no offense but if you dad isnt working you should be greatful you still have a roof over your head and a meal at dinner. especially now many companies are slow the first few months of the year so its not that easy to get a job right now.

He may not say much but I can assure you he has bigger things on his mind right now besides a telephone.

5. Warstrong thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I know I'm very fortunate to have what I have... my dad is an audio/video professional and brings in the big bucks so even though he's technically unemployed, he's still bringing in about $60,000/year, thus the extra iPhone bill isn't ridiculous or out of the question. I need it before March for certain reasons... let's just say I have a terminal illness (no, I don't actually have a terminal illness, but imagine I do if you have to). He's got job opportunities so he'll get a job soon but since I need it in the next couple months, I'm planning ahead so I can get it in time if it comes down to the wire. I was just looking for more suggestions like that or maybe some alternative route that's slipping my mind. I forgot to ask: is Verizon's network ACTUALLY ready for the iPhone? I read that the network's 3G support is CDMA and 4G won't be rolled out until 2011, so does CDMA actually support what the iPhone needs these days (multiple apps accessing the data network at once)? I'm basically asking for the argument against a Verizon iPhone, as it's proven hard to find since everyone's in love with Verizon's coverage. It's more a matter of telling him that the Verizon iPhone is a bad idea or won't actually happen because of Verizon's latest statement.
    EDIT: Okay, looks like the biggest reason to doubt Verizon taking over the iPhone is that CDMA is a US-only standard so I guess that's the problem with CDMA+iPhone. Plus the fact that this could easily be Verizon's attempt to simply get their name into the minds of people that are interested in buying the iPhone- make them think the service will get better if they wait and iPhone sales will dive, and because Apple likes to please its customers, this statement might push Apple to switch to Verizon.

6. UnLiMiTeD558 macrumors regular

if you ACTUALLY need this phone before march, and its a legitimate reason, then explain that to him, if its actually legit then he will get you it. I personally dont think it is or you wouldnt need to think of OTHER reasons to tell him as to why you need it.

Stop being spoiled.

7. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

The cheapest way to get an iPhone is to get a FAN discount that has free activation and up to 25 percent off the service.

I had verizon with a 4000 min plan and some bs txt message per phone plans with 5 phones. Now i have a at&t 3000 min plan with 30 dollars for unlimited family text and 3 iphones with the data plan. Because of the discount i am paying almost the same as what i was paying before with verizon. Also rollover minutes are nice if you have a plan that you sometimes go over.

8. John T macrumors 68020

John T

When you're old enough to earn your own money, providing you can afford it, you'll be able to buy what you want when you want it.

Until then, try not to be so selfish and do as your parents tell you.

9. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Fail.

10. davelanger macrumors 6502a

If you really want a phone by march, here is an idea, get a job and buy it yourself.

11. Warstrong thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand what you guys are saying about me being spoiled; I'm not spoiled- I understand the value of a dollar (about equal with a steaming heap of **** these days) but I'm only 16 and according to my sister's efforts, the local places aren't looking for new employees. Anyway, I didn't come here for a lesson on how to be self-sustaining. I came here for buying suggestions and eventually I realized that the thing I really need is a good argument against the possibilities of a Verizon iPhone and the iPhone itself if it does come to be this year.
    Thanks for the only helpful reply this morning, Ryeno. Time to shovel. And yes, there is a legitimate reason I need it before March, and no, I can't tell my dad about it.

12. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Retail stores are always hiring. All you need to do is go ask if they are hiring.

Maybe by doing so, your dad will see you are serious about wanting a phone and will help you get it sooner. At least offer to do work around the house like laundry, dishes and stuff like that.

13. Warstrong thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I'll go see if they are in fact hiring. I doubt they are though, otherwise my sister would have a job. And since we have kind of a big family, my siblings already take care of dishes & trash, and I do my own laundry over here (divorced parents=not much laundry to do here lol) and I'm the one that helps my dad out with the house maintenance, moving things, "guy stuff" like that. I'm clearly the favorite kid but after repairing everyone's computers (I even gave my brother $300 worth of parts and built him a PC last year, even though he didn't deserve it), always doing what the parents ask, and dealing with other **** I won't mention, I'm the only one without my own computer here at my dad's house and I don't have a phone. Anyway, I'm a very happy guy these days, I just need the argument against a Verizon iPhone, if anybody has one. Most of you guys are incredibly unhelpful :(
    EDIT: Just realized another good point:
    -The iPhone won't be jailbreakable until a few months after it comes out

14. UnLiMiTeD558 macrumors regular

what do you expect us to be? 16 year old comes onto a forum and says "i must have an iphone by march, but my dad is paying for it, i need to rush him into buying me one"

Life sometimes isnt fair.

Also we arent your dad, so what exacly is so important that you MUST have an iphone by march? Another reason why your being judged is because you havent given a legit reason as to why your dad must buy you one. You say you dont have a pc of your own but in your previous thread made, you had a pc you were going to sell for a G4, so you did have one or still do but got rid of it.

15. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

These threads always end up the same way. The kid asking for advice gets lectured by 90 other members about "responsibility" and what not.

Wasteland?

16. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

I know its ridiculous. I am sure none of you guys were ever spoiled:rolleyes:

But honestly in todays world everyone needs a cell phone. Do you guys want this kid to be stuck with a POS verizon cell phone or have a good iPhone?

17. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I say just keep begging for the phone. That's what I did when I was a kid and I got my 7500/100! It had a Zip Drive guys... a Zip Drive. So stoked.