Cheapest way to display HDMI or RCA video on iMac screen?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by maf2k8, Sep 22, 2014.

1. maf2k8 macrumors 6502

Ok, I do a lot of YouTube videos and i use my Sony HDR-CX150 camcorder.

I usually record my video onto my SD card and import into iMovie, Edit, Upload.

What i need help with is this..

Sometimes in my videos i need to get up close to the objects and the viewfinder on my Sony is rather small. I was running a HDMI cable from my camcorder to my LED TV and using my TV to display what i was recording (which worked great) BUT i no longer have the TV.

So is there any way i can send the video OUT of my camera, Either via HDMI or with the yellow RCA video cable, To my iMac? So that i can view what i am recording? Kinda like using my iMac as a viewfinder?

I am not looking to record directly to it or anything like that, Just simply want to see what i am recording since i cannot see my view finder on my camera while recording certain angles.

Audio is not a concern, I am just needing to see what my camera is recording.

What would be the cheapest way to do this? If it is possible? and what can you recommend?

Thanks

2. maf2k8 thread starter macrumors 6502

I picked up the diamond vc500 for Mac and it won't work on my imac. It doesn't detect the digitizer.

Can anyone else recommend one? Keep in mind all I need is to view video I don't need to record or anything like that and I don't care about the quality just something that will allow me to use my imac as a viewfinder pretty much so I can see what I am recording rather then using my cameras small viewfinder

3. maf2k8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I have found something. I bought the blackmagic thunderbolt mini recorder and wow this thing is awesome and well worth the money.

If anyone is wanting to send a HDMI signal to your imac (camera, camcorder, ps3,etc) this is the device!

Another awesome thing i figured out is I can now use my digital camera as a Webcam and record directly into QuickTime and other apps. Very happy I found this little device