Cheapest way to get tethering/hot spot on Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jason2811, Nov 12, 2013.

1. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

I'm currently on the Verizon Max Edge program, which is $30 per month for 6GB of data. I traded in my Unlimited Data for this and it's not a big deal because I used 2GB per month. I have an iPhone 5S. Anyway, sometimes I travel and want to use my iPad and tether/hotspot it with my phone. I only travel once a month though and only need to tether for a few hours each way.

What is the cheapest way for me to tether with my current plan? There is another Verizon Max Edge program which has 8GB of data and tethering but I don't want to pay an extra $20 per month for a feature I rarely use and for extra data I don't need. So what are my options? Any little known tethering plans available that are cheaper?

Also, could I upgrade to the 8GB tethering plan when I travel and just cancel it before the next month?)

THANKS!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you can switch to it when you need it and then remove it from your account when you're done.
    You will just be charged prorated charges for the amount of days you had it available.

3. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

It blows my mind how anybody could give up unlimited data :eek:

4. Snake201 macrumors member

Can you tether from your phone while you have unlimited data?

Does this make it more expensive? When you do tether do you also have unlimited data on that as well?

5. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

It was a simple choice for me.

I don't use a lot of data, but I like to tether. AT&T offered Tethering if I gave up unlimited.

6. AppleCore77 macrumors member

I'm not familiar with the Max Edge program but with our Verizon family plan with 4gb of data, it's free to use ours as hot spots. I don't use it a lot, but have when in a pinch and want to use our iPad rather than one of our iPhones.

7. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

you could have tethered for free on Verizon and you will now get slowed down and get fun warning text from AT&T:eek:

8. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

My work Phone is Verizon with unlimited data.

I'm getting an upgrade. Can I tether with Verizon unlimited data? Or do I have to add a tethering plan?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You have to add tethering.