Cheapest way to get USB 3 on 2007 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by techmonkey, Sep 27, 2012.

1. techmonkey macrumors 6502a

What is the cheapest way to get USB 3 on a 2007 MBP? I've seen some Express Cards for $30-50.

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Probably an OS X compatable express card, or a used 2012 macbook air connected via Firewire. You didn't say it needed to be practical :p

3. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

4. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

Unless you have a specific need to use USB 3, I'd pass right now. Yes you can get some performance boost for external hd/flash drives, but probably not worth the hassle of using some third party cards/drivers to get it working on a 5 year old machine. If you have a specific need that would really benefit from it - like if you do large and frequent transfers for backup etc. then it might be worth a try.

6. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

If you have to ask that question then I would argue that you personally don't "need" it and therefore may not want to go ripping into your MBP to replace the ExpressCard.

Obviously do as you will with your own computer though.

7. terraphantm macrumors 68040

why would he have to rip into his MBP to use an express card?

8. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea, I have a express slot so nothing to disassemble. That said, ive "ripped" open my MBP before, replacing HDDS/SSDs, etc. The reason I ask, is the what azentropy mentioned. 3rd party drivers, if they work well, is it really a big performance increase.

9. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I misinterpreted, just disregard it. I thought we were talking about slots.

In the case where you have an ExpressCard slot, give the card a try if the speed/transfer rates of USB 3.0 are worth it to you.

10. magbarn macrumors 68000

I dunno if the 3rd party expresscard USB 3.0 cards are just as fast as the native ports on my rMBP, but the USB 3.0 cuts the transfer time in 1/3 of USB 2.0 when I'm backing up my lightroom libraries on an external HD.