Cheapest way to get USB 3 on 2007 MBP?

techmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
What is the cheapest way to get USB 3 on a 2007 MBP? I've seen some Express Cards for $30-50.

azentropy

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Nice. Its cheap, reviews are mixed, might be worth giving it a try.

When you say "HAVE", do you think USB 3 isn't worth getting?
Unless you have a specific need to use USB 3, I'd pass right now. Yes you can get some performance boost for external hd/flash drives, but probably not worth the hassle of using some third party cards/drivers to get it working on a 5 year old machine. If you have a specific need that would really benefit from it - like if you do large and frequent transfers for backup etc. then it might be worth a try.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
When you say "HAVE", do you think USB 3 isn't worth getting?
If you have to ask that question then I would argue that you personally don't "need" it and therefore may not want to go ripping into your MBP to replace the ExpressCard.

Obviously do as you will with your own computer though.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
If you have to ask that question then I would argue that you personally don't "need" it and therefore may not want to go ripping into your MBP to replace the ExpressCard.

why would he have to rip into his MBP to use an express card?

techmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007

Yea, I have a express slot so nothing to disassemble. That said, ive "ripped" open my MBP before, replacing HDDS/SSDs, etc. The reason I ask, is the what azentropy mentioned. 3rd party drivers, if they work well, is it really a big performance increase.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
why would he have to rip into his MBP to use an express card?
I misinterpreted, just disregard it. I thought we were talking about slots.

In the case where you have an ExpressCard slot, give the card a try if the speed/transfer rates of USB 3.0 are worth it to you.

magbarn

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2008
Yea, I have a express slot so nothing to disassemble. That said, ive "ripped" open my MBP before, replacing HDDS/SSDs, etc. The reason I ask, is the what azentropy mentioned. 3rd party drivers, if they work well, is it really a big performance increase.
I dunno if the 3rd party expresscard USB 3.0 cards are just as fast as the native ports on my rMBP, but the USB 3.0 cuts the transfer time in 1/3 of USB 2.0 when I'm backing up my lightroom libraries on an external HD.