Cheapest way to get Win 10

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MrMister111, Feb 20, 2016.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68020

Son plays on my iMac which is about years old now. It's the "skinny" one with no DVD drive.

However he's now getting into games a bit and wants windows on.

Years ago I had it on an older iMac using my old XP from an old PC I had.

I know now at the moment that Win 10 is "free" from a qualifying purchase.

So can someone tell me the best way (i'm in UK) to get Win 10, to buy, e.g. Best to buy an older Win 7 and get the free Win 10 upgrade etc.

Also will this run ok on my iMac, Win 10 with some basic games? I'd prefer to dual boot I think rather than using virtualisation software.

Thanks

2. vladobizik macrumors 6502

I went through a similar conundrum quite recently. Right now, there is hardly any reason for me to use Windows on my iMac, but from time to time I like to binge on a hot new game or two. Knowing that the free upgrade window lasts until this year’s summer, I figured the cheapest way to get a Windows 10 license is to get a 7 or 8(.1) product key, get the digital entitlement for your machine and then be able to make a Boot Camp partition and install Windows 10 whenever you feel like it.
    There are perfectly legal ways to get a OEM product key from scrap machines on sites like eBay. It’s kind of shady, you won’t get any fancy documentation or warranty from Microsoft, but it works and it IS the cheapest way. I spent a good deal of time sorting through which offers are legitimate and which are scams and in the end found a UK-based eBay seller and got a Windows 8.1 Professional product key from him for £8.99. Since the November update for Windows 10 you don’t even have to upgrade from an earlier version to get your free upgrade license, you can just use you 7/8.1 product key when installing Windows 10 from the official ISO you can get from the MS website. I did just that and it worked like a charm. The installation then activated online and the machine received what they call a “digital entitlement”. That basically means you won’t ever be asked for a product key again, you can just skip this step in the setup and Windows will activate automatically afterwards, because a digital fingerprint of your iMac’s hardware will have been stored on Microsoft’s activation servers.
    I then removed the Boot Camp partition, as I really don’t need it at this moment, but if I do in the future, I’m all set.
    Anyway, since I have great experience with this particular seller (I’m NOT affiliated with him in ANY way, mind you) and eBay feedback for him is pretty much flawless, I can highly recommend you get a Windows 7 or 8.1 key from him. Because there are a lot of scams all over the place too. I’m really not sure if sharing a link to his storefront is against the forum rules, so if you’re interested, just drop me a line privately and I will send you his username/link to his profile. Or if a mod assures me it’s okay, I can post it here too.
    Hope I helped.

3. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for the explanation. I'm the same as you, I don't want to be shady, there's easier ways definitely.

I'm happy to buy an official route, but like everything and everyone, the best bargain is best!

Happy for you to PM me please yes if that's ok. I read that now you can get the ISO download officially from MS, as long as you have the product key.

So what would happen to get this installed initially on an iMac? Would I have to make a DVD from the IOS and use an external DVD drive?

Also what happens when I sell the iMac? Would I lose the Win 10 then even if I factory wipe it?

Thanks

4. vladobizik macrumors 6502

Just PM’ed you with the links.
    As for your other questions, yes, you can easily download an ISO file from Microsoft, here:
    https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10
    You don’t even have to give them a product key, at least I wasn’t asked for anything.
    Afterwards, it’s your standard Boot Camp procedure: once you have downloaded the ISO, fire up Boot Camp Assistant with an 8+ GB USB flash drive plugged it and it will make a bootable installer and download the necessary Boot Camp drivers onto it too. Then it will let you partition your hard drive and proceed to install Windows. It’s very easy, you just follow the instructions, or look at Apple’s support page and there are dozens of tutorial videos on YouTube, even fairly recent ones, specifically for Windows 10 (even though there’s nothing special about Windows 10 in this regard compared to older versions). You’ll be fine.

If you completely wipe your drive, the machine will still and forever be entitled to the Windows 10 license. Once you, or a future owner, installs Windows 10 on it, they can just skip the product key input during the setup and then activate the installation. Think of it as added value when you’re selling the machine in the future :)

5. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68020

Great thanks for info. So it's only this machine that I'm entitled to get Win 10 for? I couldn't keep it for me for my next iMac say, it has to stop with this current iMac?

Thanks

6. vladobizik macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure the license is tied to a specific computer, especially an OEM license like these cheap ones all are. It’s not as clear with full-price retail licenses, which you may, in theory, transfer to a different computer, but this is all too tricky and complex for my comprehension. The rule of thumb is that the license stays with the computer, not the user.

7. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68020

Appreciate help thanks. For the price this will have to do for this computer then, and look in future when required. Win 10 from the limited look and use I've seen, seems a decent OS.

8. pagardur macrumors newbie

pagardur

This procedure seems a great way to have a legal dual setup on my iMac. Could you please PM me the eBay reseller reference?
    Thanks in advance!

9. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

You just need to ensure the W7 keys you are purchasing are retail not OEM versions.

Q. My customer bought a new PC and wants to move the OEM software from the old PC to the new one. Can't users do whatever they want with their software?

A. No, the OEM software is licensed with the computer system on which it was originally installed and is tied to that original machine. OEM licenses are single-use licenses that cannot be installed on more than one computer system, even if the original machine is no longer in use. The End User Software License Terms, which the end user must accept before using the software, state that the license may not be shared, transferred to, or used concurrently on different computers. System builders must provide end-user support for the Windows license on computers they build, but cannot support licenses on computers they didn’t build. This is a fundamental reason why OEM System Builder licenses can't be transferred.

10. vladobizik macrumors 6502

These resellers get around this by using a loophole - they sell scrap hardware together with the license, which you may or may not choose to collect. The OEM licenses they sell are unused and you just activate it on a different computer than the scrap machine it is technically sold with.

11. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

I don't see how that's a loophole, more a play on words to part you from your money as you could only ever run it on the scrapped hardware legally. What the sellers are doing I'm sure is fine, the grey part is using that licence else where.

12. vladobizik macrumors 6502

Yeah, sure, I never claimed it was 100% legitimate and I made it clear in my above posts. It's in the grey area between piracy and a legitimate purchase and you should never use it in a commercial setting or anywhere where any kind of authority cares about the authenticity of your license. But as far as Microsoft activation policy is concerned, it is 100% legit.

13. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Let's just say that it's no more illegal than running the same licensed version of Windows in both Bootcamp and virtually through Parallels or VMWare.
    Both violate Microsofts TOS but both are advocated in this forum almost daily.
    :(

14. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

But that would be contra to item 4 in the instant ban section of the Forum Rules "otherwise violative of any laws" unless I'm misunderstanding something???

15. vladobizik macrumors 6502

Not that I really want to get too technical, but in most juristictions, using improperly licensed software in private use (this cannot be stressed enough: private) is not against the law in the strict sense - no kind of public authority can prosecute it ex officio. You can only potentially be sued by the software manufacturer and then deemed guilty by a court of law. Properly licencing software, pirating it, or being in a legal gray area is more of en ethics question than anything else.

16. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Most of those OEM licenses come from computers that were running enterprise versions therefore the original license was never activated.

I'm surrounded by hundreds of computers that have valid Windows serials because all our systems get an approved GM.

17. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

But the licence is not transferable is the point being missed.
    It's not that they are "free" to be reused or moved and they can't be resold.

18. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

You're right once the license has been used on a machine they are not transferable as they are tied to the machine they've been installed on. Before that they are, you can buy OEM licenses at just about any computer store.

19. vladobizik macrumors 6502

Retailers are supposed to sell OEM licenses only along with hardware, as per their agreements with Microsoft. Technically, unless they want risk Microsoft suspending their agreements, if they sell and OEM license, a piece of hardware must be on the same receipt/invoice. That's all there's to it. It's up to the sellers how they deal with it. Many of them are of course happy to sell you a standalone OEM serial if that's what you want and they can source it. Once you buy an unused OEM serial, it's none of your problem. It's yours and you can use it however you please. On your side, it's 100% legal and legit.

20. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

In other words, yes they're non transferable but they're not being transferred because they were never used with the equipment they were originally sold with. That equipment instead was used with an Enterprise or volume license.

21. AFEPPL, Mar 4, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2016

AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Does matter - that's a transfer. There's a reason it's fasten/stuck to the hardware, it's for that hardware it was supplied with, it matters not that it's not been activated and well all know it.

T&Cs say the OEM Lic is link to only the motherboard the OS is running and can not be transferred.
    If the original MB is replaced on the original hardware you need a new licence.

22. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

And if it's not been installed it's not linked to the MoBo and is transferable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...TCH&Description=windows+7+OEM&N=-1&isNodeId=1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...CH&Description=windows+10+oem&N=-1&isNodeId=1

23. Phoenixx Suspended

Phoenixx

I certainly suggest getting Windows 7, but don't downgrade it to Windows 10. The latest version of Windows has too many problems, and for gaming is LESS compatible than the older version.

24. dvdlovr24 macrumors 6502

Can you pm me the bay links when you get a chance?

25. brookter1 macrumors member

Just a warning about the 'buy off ebay' route...

Last October I bought a Win 8.1 Pro licence from a seller on Ebay. I made sure it said it was genuine and unused, and I checked the seller's record which was excellent. I installed the OS on my MacBook using Virtual Box and everything worked perfectly -- it was activated without problem and so I thought the key was genuine.

On Tuesday I managed to delete the VM and the backup failed (don't ask...), so I tried to reinstall. There was no problem at first: Win 8.1 went on and activated properly. Then I upgraded to Win 10, but after installation, it claimed that that it was not activated, even when I put the correct code in again.

Eventually, I used the 'live chat' help facility and after a long discussion, the agent wanted to log on remotely to my computer to 'sort it out'. I refused because I wanted to know why it was necessary. It turns out that the key was recorded as 'PIRATED' and that there were 5 activations from it already, although they acknowledged that it was originally a genuine key. It seems likely that the seller has sold it more than once, so my initial activation was fine, but eventually some trigger was linked.

The agent offered to sort it out (not sure how -- presumably by me paying for another licence) but I said no and ended the chat. I then immediately trashed the new install, bought a new licence from the Microsoft Store and downloaded Windows 10 from scratch. I really don't like piracy and feel very uncomfortable that I've unwittingly got involved.

So in the end, trying to save money didn't work....