Cheapest way to Register a Domain Name?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by adk, Aug 13, 2008.

1. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I'd like to register a domain name (myname.com) for, well, narcissistic reasons, I guess. I'd just like to have it before somebody else scoops it up. I'm wondering what the cheapest way to scoop it up and sit on it might be. Any Ideas?

2. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

1and1 has the cheapest domain names available and they come with a privacy guard at no extra cost.

However, they do not have a fully managable DNS like GoDaddy or NameCheap.

3. SilentGreg macrumors member

+1 GoDaddy is great. If you buy a lot of domains, they begin to discount after awhile. According to a friend of mine at least...

4. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Hahaha, I've never used them but they stuck in my head. Super Bowl commercial... :D

5. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

I use namecheap.com

They've been reliable for me.

6. adk thread starter macrumors 68000

adk

I'm a complete novice at this whole "internet" thing. Is a fully manageable DNS important for basic purposes? The most I can see myself doing with this domain is creating a personal site to host photos and such.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Me too.

I can't stand GoDaddy. They continued to spam my inbox with crap even though I unsubscribed and e-mails to their customer "service" fell on deaf ears. So I took my money elsewhere, and couldn't be happier. Namecheap doesn't e-mail me unless a domain is about to expire.

8. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I second also not using GoDaddy - if for no other reason than when the parking page they put on the domain is nothing but a big ad for their company. C'mon: I just paid for it the domain, it's mine, I don't want you putting ads on it just because it's free. Ya know?

Whatever you do, DO NOT use Network Solutions to search for a domain and see if it's available. Once you hit 'enter' in the search field, NetSol puts a lock on it for several days where you cannot buy it somewhere else and they own some sort of rights to it. I don't like shady practices like that myself... Use Internic.com to see if a domain is available, then go to preferred registrar to buy it.

9. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

For basic purposes? nah. no need.

10. Definity macrumors member

I use godaddy, they seem ridiculously cheap, and fairly good. Just watch out for the multitude of addons they try and attach to your order.

Without, you'll be pretty safe.

11. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

I use go daddy for free thanks to Slick-deals and a super awesome promotion.

They are really confusing and irritating, however I have no problems with my site.