Cheapest Way to Replace iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chase817, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Chase817 macrumors member

Chase817

Hey guys, i need some advice. My iPhone 5 volume down button has stopped working (apparently a decently common issue) and Apple wants me to pay $297 to get the button fixed. After picking my jaw up off the floor, I began to think of solutions. I know any iPhone without a contract is quite expensive, but what is the cheapest way back into having a good condition iPhone 5?

Should I try to find a used AT&T iPhone 5? A used 5c? Refurbished? Unlocked? What would you all recommend? All I want is an iPhone 5/5c that works and is in decent condition.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why don't you bring it to an iPhone repair place and have them fix the volume button instead? It will be way cheaper.

3. Chase817 thread starter macrumors member

Chase817

Do you have any suggestions? I don't have much experience with 3rd-party repair shops.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There are many places online but you have to mail it and then wait to be send back.
    But there are many local places everywhere. Typical mall iPhone repair kiosks and other computer shops can fix it on the spot.
    I'd search around on yellow pages or CL etc....

5. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

So you're out of AppleCare I assume? Even if you bought it at launch, it's only 2 months outside of the warranty window. You could just call or go on their live chat (I've found their live chat representatives to be extra eager to help) and try your luck there. Mention that you were quoted $297 which is something you can't afford and find ridiculous.

If you can't get any luck after 5 or so tries with their customer support, I'd say have a repair shop do it. I can't imagine it being nearly as expensive there.

6. Chase817 thread starter macrumors member

Chase817

Yeah, I did buy it at launch so it's out of warranty. I suppose I could give their live chat a go.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Some sites I checked charge around $50-80 to repair that type of problem so if they deny you I wouldn't spend $300 at Apple.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Did you purchase it using a credit card? If so, check if it offers extended warranty (mirrors the original warranty in the 2nd year)?

9. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

the part costs $25 from ifixit.com, get the part and then perform the repair yourself while following online guides.

10. Chase817 thread starter macrumors member

Chase817

Apple's online support was pretty useless, so this may be an option.

No, unfortunately it doesn't offer it.

This is actually a plausible idea, the repair video didn't look that daunting.

11. Ann P macrumors 68020

Search on Craigslist or Yelp for some reputable cellphone repair shop, in your area of course. Something like this can easily be fixed for $30-$40.

12. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Steal someone's phone..... cheapest way to replace one.

Legit way..... many great options posted here.

13. rlb4 macrumors member

Isn't the out of warranty repair/replacement like $269?

14. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

What apple store did you go to? If your phone is out of warranty, the cost to replace the whole phone for a refurb is 229 plus tax...

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They raised the price. It's now $269 for 5s, 5c and 5. 4S remains at $199.