Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rudetude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2009
ok so im a big fan of the iphone but i cant afford the monthly cost, so iv been trying to come up with the cheapest way to have an iphone. i am thinking about getting an iphone for $199 and signing up for the 2 year contract, then after the first month of service canceling it and using the monthly gophone plans. i dont use the internet that much so i just plan on turning the at&t network off and using wi-fi where i can. will this work? can i just put in the gophone sim card after i cancel the contract and it will work?

aok1975

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
ok so im a big fan of the iphone but i cant afford the monthly cost, so iv been trying to come up with the cheapest way to have an iphone. i am thinking about getting an iphone for $199 and signing up for the 2 year contract, then after the first month of service canceling it and using the monthly gophone plans. i dont use the internet that much so i just plan on turning the at&t network off and using wi-fi where i can. will this work? can i just put in the gophone sim card after i cancel the contract and it will work?

yes you can.

thelordnyax

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2008

if you have any family members with at&t, a family plan is the way to go
we share minutes in my family, so my monthly bill is:
$9.99 for adding th eline
$30.00 for unlimited internet

and the whole family has $30.00 unlimited texting

bakerster

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
trust me, i love my iphone.

what you're looking for is to have the iphone to make calls with basically.

you dont want that. its weakest point probably is call clarity and connection to networks.

buy an ipod touch, keep a cheap ass phone to make calls + texts on.

trust me.

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008

You could do that, but it's a total waste.

A much better option (IMO) is to buy a cheap phone (something small and light) and an iPod touch. You'll pay less money, you won't have to worry about AT&T disabling your account, you won't have to screw with cancelling a contract and you'll still have the ability to surf the web from hotspots, etc.

rudetude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2009
You could do that, but it's a total waste.

A much better option (IMO) is to buy a cheap phone (something small and light) and an iPod touch. You'll pay less money, you won't have to worry about AT&T disabling your account, you won't have to screw with cancelling a contract and you'll still have the ability to surf the web from hotspots, etc.

that is what i have right now, and i constantly have to carry both my phone and ipod touch. I figure why not just carry one thing that does what both of them do. I think it costs $175 to cancel your contract, and if you figure $200 for the phone plus $175 to cancel is $375 witch is way cheaper than buying one off of ebay.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
that is what i have right now, and i constantly have to carry both my phone and ipod touch. I figure why not just carry one thing that does what both of them do. I think it costs $175 to cancel your contract, and if you figure $200 for the phone plus $175 to cancel is $375 witch is way cheaper than buying one off of ebay.
Add in one month of service, $69.99 and the $36.00 activation fee.

barryst

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2009
I would just try to find a 2G iphone for cheap locally. I've seen them go for ~250CDN around here.

Legolai

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2009
by the looks of things if you do this, you're going to have to pay out $400+ for technically something you already have, just for the sake of what? 150 grams of weight and a little extra bulk in your pocket, when you already cant afford the monthly plan?

more money than sense...

rudetude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2009
by the looks of things if you do this, you're going to have to pay out $400+ for technically something you already have, just for the sake of what? 150 grams of weight and a little extra bulk in your pocket, when you already cant afford the monthly plan?

more money than sense...

i will still save money in the end not having to pay $100+ a month fot the bill. If i cancel my contract will at&t lock my phone up and i will have to jailbreak it? or will i just have to put a new sim card in and it will be ready to go?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.