Cheapest way to run more than two monitors on a mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ryanrul, Oct 29, 2009.

1. ryanrul macrumors member

I am trying to make a video wall of 4 - 6 lcd panels, all displaying different lo-fi videos. Ideally i would like to have one computer driving all of the panels. But I don't know what hardware / software i need to connect more than 2 monitors.

Any insights / advice appreciated.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Running more than two monitors requires more than one graphics card. I suggest using a PC for the purpose instead, since the only Mac that can handle multiple graphics cards costs $2500.

3. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

There are USB displays now, but I don't know how well they work on Macs (if at all).

Alternatively, you can try something like the Matrox DualHead2Go or TripleHead2Go. They come in VGA or DVI editions. A bit pricey, though.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you run a PC, it'll be a lot cheaper. With a Mac, you'll be a paying a lot for a bunch of crappy video cards.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

6. ryanrul thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies.

So there's no video equivalent of an external firewire audio interface like the motu 828mk3? The internal sound cards on macs don't deliver multiple ins and outs, but there are lots of external boxes that can add the functionality.

7. seb-opp macrumors 6502

Sadly that sort of thing wouldn't be possible, video output needs way more bandwidth than audio.

But I seem to remember reading that Displayport allows you to daisy-chain monitors like you can with firewire devices, only thing is I don't think there is a mini display port to full size display port adaptor available yet

8. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

Other World Computing sells a usb device that will drive a display up to 1600x1200. You can use up to 4 of these in one machine and the best thing is they only cost 89.99 each. Because it is a usb device you can use it with any Mac. The only other option is dual graphics cards in a MacPro which would not be cheap.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/VIDU2DVIA/

9. chill. macrumors 6502

10. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Besides, the OP is only running one computer. The point of the airport's adoption is scaleability and remote administration.

Apple is not the answer to everything.

11. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Mac Pro graphics cards cost of fortune. Basic PCI Express cards for the PC are in the £50 or so range, Mac Pro cards are generally nearly £120 upwards + the cost of adapters needed to connect standard DVI or VGA displays to them too.

Maybe there's flashed PC cards available with standard connections for a lot less?

12. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

And if you're just displaying lo-fi video you don't even need a new one. Pick up a few used cards on eBay for $30.