Cheapest way to send a charging cable from the US to the EU

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Susurs, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Susurs macrumors 6502

Susurs

I was wondering what would be the best and cheapest way to send an iPhone charging cable (1m) from the US to the EU? To my understanding it should fit USPS "flats" and could be shipped by First-Class Mail International: "Our most affordable option for postcards, envelopes, and flats. Send anything up to 4 lbs (cannot exceed $400 in value) to more than 180 countries. From $1.15 at a Post Office." https://www.usps.com/international/mail-shipping-services.htm My family told, however, that USPS asked around $15 to ship this tiny item as a package...more than the item costs itself...? Any advices, experience?

Can such items be shipped in "flats"? Are there any alternative mailing services?

2. daflake macrumors 6502a

It is going to cost you more to ship it than it would for you to just go buy one here sadly. Shipping rates for USPS have gone up exponentially and even shipping to my APO (Military Post Office) has gotten expensive. The only alternatives we have in the states are FedEX and UPS and neither are going to be that cheap.

Is there a reason you aren't buying one in the EU? I live in Germany and can easily pick one up at Mediamarkt.

3. Susurs thread starter macrumors 6502

Susurs

I got a good deal - spare oem cable for a few $ - could not resist to buy it :) Hmm... but they (the USPS) mention "Send anything up to 4 lbs" ... does it mean only printed material?

4. daflake macrumors 6502a

Someone should be able to stuff it in a flat envelope and ship it that way but I doubt it will be less than the cost of the cable.

Where are you seeing this 4 dollar charge? That is most likely only a local charge and not international.

https://postcalc.usps.com/Calculato...False&dmil=False&mdt=4/19/2017&m=1&dvi=10&p=1

Here is a flat rate international letter for $12.60. That is the lowest international there is that I can find.

5. Susurs, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017

Susurs thread starter macrumors 6502

Susurs

6. daflake macrumors 6502a

Should be fine, worst they could do is try. Weird, I got a different price on that envelope, but I also selected Germany as my destination.

7. Susurs thread starter macrumors 6502

Susurs

Thanks! P.S. Yes, seems a bit strange that we got different pricing categories.

8. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

$6.97 is the cheapest I could find. Use a 6x9 bubble envelope. I selected Germany, a value of $10, weight 6 ounces, large envelope, and "none of the following" envelope properties. It needs to stay under 3/4".

upload_2017-4-19_11-23-38.png

The price will go up with weight though, and I don't know what the weight of the cable and envelope are. I used to regularly mail discs this way (DVDs and similar), which would be about 5 ounces at the most with a 2-disc set. Maybe 6oz if there was a much thicker than normal booklet. I doubt a cable would weigh more, so that's how I came up with 6oz.

9. Susurs thread starter macrumors 6502

Susurs

Cable itself probably weight around 1oz... just a guess however.