iPad mini Cheapest way to upgrade from Mini 1 to Mini 4?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by off_piste, Jan 22, 2017.

1. off_piste macrumors 6502a

I was given a 4g Verizon Mini 1 for free from a family member but the thing is ridiculously slow and constantly reloads web pages (the non-retina screen is pretty hard to look at compared to newer iPads and iPhones). I like the form factor if it works but it wouldn't be a primary use device so I don't want to dump a bunch of money into getting a newer model.

So any ideas what would be the cheapest way to get a Mini 4? Does Apple offer lower pricing for a Mini 4 if you have a Mini 1 not working well? Or is it simply going to be me trying to resell the Mini 1 and find a used/refurbished Mini 4?

Alternatively, is there anything to be done to improve performance of the 1? Obviously there's nothing to be done about the screen but it's set up as new and only has four basic apps installed so I figured it would perform better than it is.

Thanks!

2. pika2000 macrumors 68030

The mini 1 uses the A5, which has been dropped from support by Apple.
    I don't think Apple offers a trade-in, and even if they do, the value will be considerably lower than market-price.
    If it was recently purchased and you still have the original box and accessories, you can try returning it to the store where it was bought.

3. ACG12 macrumors 6502a

Sell the mini for $100 and wait for the mini 4 to go on sale and pay the difference. Best Buy is always discounting it by $75-$100.

4. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

5. bensisko macrumors 65816

Short term or long term?
    If you're looking for short term impact, get a Verizon device for $30 a month (await for a holiday - there's usually a deal).

If you're looking for minimal long term impact, go with a refurb from Apple - you can still get Apple Care.

6. DaGrayMan macrumors newbie

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Cheap way to upgrade to Mini 4 is to check dirty cheap deal with eBay, Amazon or Craigslist. Good luck.