Cheapest Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Epic Xbox Revie, May 8, 2011.

1. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Let me begin by saying that I have never used Boot Camp or other applications to run Windows on my Mac. I am interested in doing so and would like to know the cheapest way to get windows 7 running with Boot Camp on my Mac. I have a college email address, so I am eligible for a Student discount, but I am not sure what the cheapest way to getting Windows 7 on to my Mac would be. Please advise.

2. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

3. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Get this - http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/windows/buynow/default.aspx

If they don't give you a ISO you can burn directly to a DVD, you can get them here - http://downloadsquad.switched.com/2009/10/28/direct-download-ISO-dvd-for-windows-7-student-upgrade/

Going a bit further, if Windows complains you can't activate, follow the instructions here - http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media

Just a FYI, Windows only needs about a 30GB partition if your not installing any large programs.

4. JohnRocks macrumors member

5. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

If I do not have any copy of Windows can I still use the Upgrade version??

6. Quad5Ny, May 9, 2011
    Last edited: May 9, 2011

Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Yes, but it violates the license agreement.

But realistically Microsoft has no way of checking, they're taking you on your word that you had a previous version of Windows (kinda like the Snow Leopard Upgrade).

You will probably have to follow the steps in this guide to activate once its installed. - Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrage Media

For me it usually goes like this:

1.) Boot Camp Assistant

2.) Pop your Win7 Disc In

3.) Reboot and Get the Win7 Install Going

4.) When you get to the 'Product Key' entry page leave it blank (Windows 7 will Happily install without a Product key, you get a 30 day grace period in which to enter it later on)

5.) Change "MediaBootInstall" Registry Entry to "0" (Method #2 in the guide)

6.) Open a Admin Command Prompt and type "slmgr -rearm" (Method #2 in the guide)

7.) Restart Windows

8.) Type "activate" in the Start Menu Search Box (and press enter)

9.) Follow the steps on screen to enter your Product Key and Activate

10.) Be happy! :rolleyes:

7. shondell macrumors newbie

hey there

Epic Xbox Revie: so did it work? I am about to follow the same steps, I am just worried that I may spend the money and it not work.

8. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

What's the cheapest way to get a full (NON-upgrade) version?

Thanks.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Shop around. A full retail license starts around $199, but is free of the licensing grey areas that surround the use of upgrade or OEM licenses on Mac hardware...

B

10. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Thanks for the tip. ;)

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Sorry for the seemingly less than useful reply.

I really haven't seen much flexibility on the price. At one point Microsoft had an online deal to buy a full license at upgrade price from their eStore, but I haven't seen anything close to that in a while.

Saving $10 is about as good as it gets on a regular basis.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...116716&cm_re=windows_7-_-32-116-716-_-Product

B