Cheapo ebay Cases: A Review

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Ouhei, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Ouhei macrumors member

So I've been using my phone naked since the first day and wasn't sure if I wanted to get a case. I decided to order a cheap case from ebay to see if I even liked having a case on there at all.

Of all the cases, I always like the incase rubber/silicone case the most. I have one on my 8gig nano and love it. I found a few cases on ebay that were knock offs so I decided to go that route.

I ended up gettin this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=350080064573&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=022

$8 shipped and came with the 2 cases and screen protector. I figured the clear case and protector would be crap, but they came with it so I didn't care.

They arrived yesterday and I was actually surprised at the quality. Not up to terms with incase, but for the money I paid, I'm happy.

White Incase styled case: Surpsingly pretty nice, fitment is tight and the case feels slightly grippy with a bit of slickness to it, which would help for pocket use. There are little excess rubber on the seams, but that comes with the territory of cheap cases. It's by far better than the clear case IMO, but I don't like clear cases to begin with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Verdict: I'm sticking with naked most of the time as I prefer the feel of it, but if I ever feel I need protection, I'll grab this. It's pretty nice, I could stand it to be thinner as the phone feels much thicker in the case, but that seems to be how it is with cases.

Clear Case: Feels flimsy and cheap off the phone, plastic is clear enough, fits snug and is formed properly for the phone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Verdict: This is going to sit in my closet to collect dust as I don't like it. It is a decent case but I'm just not a fan of the style of case.

Screen Protector: Originally I planned on throwing this out, but I threw it on the phone to see what it was like. It's similar to the PS crystal screen. Seems to keep smudging somewhat in check. Nothing like the PS anti-glare, but better than naked glass. Static cling, no sticky residue.

[​IMG]

Verdict This is staying on for now. If the film will settle around the ear piece and home button It'll stay forever. Not noticable once it's on and is cut to size very well. Came within 2 protection sheets. Pull one to apply the film, then once you get it placed, pull the other. The reduction in smudging is a pleasant surprise and so is the clarity. Feels just like the glass.

Here's my $8 experiment:

[​IMG]

Overall I'm happy with my order, I won't be using either case a lot but I wouldn't be using an incase a lot either, I got a nice surprise with the screen protector, so it's a win win.

2. aosman macrumors 6502

3. DeejayPancake macrumors member

Thanks!

I just got those silicone cases, but they haven't come in the mail yet. Nice to know I made a pretty good choice. I just wanted to offer SOME protection while giving it some grip.

4. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

Thanks for the review. I may pick up that rubber Incase knock off as a backup. Something i'd use once in while depending where i'll be.

5. Ouhei thread starter macrumors member

Just to update, my film has almost completely settled.

If anyone is looking for a case to use on occasion or doesn't really care about the small imperfections (extra rubber at the seams, buttons are slightly off but can still be used easily), I'd go for one of these, the case alone on ebay ranges from $2-$5 which is much cheaper than the $35 for the incase.

6. mugatu macrumors newbie

I've just noticed recently that www.dealextreme.com also sell loads of cheap iPhone cases with free worldwide shipping. Rubber cases tend to be about $2-3$ which is dirt cheap really.

I've never ordered from there before but my friend has and he said he had no problems.

7. DeejayPancake macrumors member

Got the cases

They came in the mail today.
    It was a package deal and they don't look too shabby on the phone. Definitely makes it feel a bit bulkier in your hand, but I actually like that... Makes me less paranoid about it slipping through my hands. Also, it doesn't move around so much in my pocket.

One con: It makes it too bulky to fit on the dock, but that's not a big deal. Takes, like, one second to take off.

8. Ouhei thread starter macrumors member

I wish I had found that instead, nice find!

9. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Thanks for posting guys. I just bought one based on the reviews in this thread. I have a Sena ultra slim pouch on the way to me, but I like having some options.

How long did it take from buying to delivery?

10. Ouhei thread starter macrumors member

Mine took just over a week, shipped straight from Hong Kong.