Chec out this discussion about the iPad and its usefulness

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iOSWriter, Sep 2, 2011.

1. iOSWriter, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011

iOSWriter macrumors newbie

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Jealousy \ Envy can make people say the nastiest things. give them all an iPad and watch how their opinions change ;)

3. Skika macrumors 68030

4. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

I emailed them about 8 months ago to ask if they would be willing to port "the beast within" to the iPad as I think a good amount of their games would really suit the iPad.

I did receive a nice response, however the reference to the iPad and games did feel like they didn't like it because it was made by Apple. And if they were to consider any games on mobile platforms it would be on an android device instead.

5. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

that thread's from april 2010, shortly after the ipad came out. there were a lot of people all over the internet, even people on this forum who thought the ipad was nothing more than a 1 trick pony.

if you're going to ridicule that, you can pretty much take your pick of anything from that time.

i don't really see the point, tbh.

6. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

You think that's bad? Try mentioning any Apple product at a Linux forum. You're lucky if you don't get banned. :p

7. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

As a pretty hardcore gamer, I used to feel threatened by Apple. When I got my iPad 2, my Xbox 360 and PS3 usage went WAY down.

Long story short--I can game on my iPad/iPhone anywhere I go and whenever I want. I can game on my consoles if I'm in my basement on the couch. The iOS games are getting better and better, and console games are starting to bore me a bit. Maybe it's partly because I'm getting older, have 2 kids, and don't have the time I used to have to devote to huge blockbuster console titles, but no matter what the reason, I always have an iOS device nearby to game on, even if I'm just sitting in bed. To play on my consoles these days, I almost have to plan ahead of time.

8. palpatine macrumors 68040

in head to head competition, the ipad is obviously inferior to other devices in many respects. but, practically speaking, i don't lounge around on the sofa with my (imaginary) 50 core desktop or go to the dog park with my laptop.

i have the ipad with me in my man purse or backpack all of the time, though, so i tend to use it a lot more. i don't dislike linux or other platforms, but they don't fit as well into my daily life.

i think this is what some people and many companies fear. we have a finite amount of time available each day, and in the end, people are not spending it with other gadgets, whatever their merits. apple has taken the market to a different place by creating an alternative way to interact with devices, and even though this may not be a step forward in terms of gaming or programming (their loves), it is popular.

9. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

People get so blinded by hate of another platform. Its ridiculous.

I remember a few months ago me and a few people in my class were going to make a game together and they were so blinded and enraged with Apple hate (for no reason, none of them owned or used an Apple product) that they drove me out of the team when they found I was on a Mac and after I suggested making a game for iOS since I own a Unity license and am a registered Apple dev. Funny thing was is I was not only the one with the most programming experience but also the artist.

Needless to say things worked out since I am happily making a solo game.