Check if URL Cached

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by computerartist, Dec 2, 2010.

1. computerartist macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, I am just starting to use cached data in Apps and don't have much experience with it on the iPhone.

I have an XML Parser and the App displays article names in a UITableView, and when the user clicks on the cell the article loads into a URL into a UIWebView. The second view uses NSURLConnection to display and animate a UIProgressBar, so what I was hoping to do was to check if the URL has been cached... if it has, then don't display the UIProgressBar.

I was just wondering what a good starting point would be to research how to check if a URL that I am loading into a UIWebView has been cached?

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

3. computerartist thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I have been looking at it... just didnt know if I have everything I need in this program to check for a cached URL instead of an image?

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I believe you may need to adjust the code from that sample to handle URLs versus images.

5. computerartist thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry... yeah I know I will have to update the code some... but I guess I should have asked if both a URL and image will work with that sample code?

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Hmm, I'm still not understanding what you're asking exactly. And I think we've entered a bit of a gray area. A URL is not really a resource that you cache, unless you consider it a string. The resource that the URL points to can be cached, whether it be an image or HTML or XML or something else.