Check if Water Damaged?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Crzyrio, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

Hey Guys,

I recently bought a rMBP on release in Oct/Nov without Applecare.

Since then, a little bit of dessert was spilt on it. It was a really thick liquid and was cleaned of right away so don't think anything seeped through.

I was planning on buying Applecare before the end of first year. If I take my rMBP to the genius bar would they check for water damage prior to buying?

I tried calling but they all say to book an appointment to talk to genius. Which is a hassle in my area as I have to book 3-5 days in advanced.

Anyone done this before?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They don't examine a machine to give you applecare but if you have warranty work to be done and they see evidence of liquid damage, then they'll invalidate the warranty.

3. disasterdrone macrumors 6502

Without seeing it its impossible to know, but from what you describe its extremely unlikely there is any damage.

4. Crzyrio thread starter macrumors 65816

I understand that but what I want to do is check if there is water damage prior to buying the Applecare

Would the genius take a look at it and tell me if there is water damage or anything that would void warranty.

5. disasterdrone macrumors 6502

I don't know - you really will have to take the time to ask them if you're concerned about this.