check my web page on IE?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by irwin209, Mar 23, 2008.

1. irwin209 macrumors newbie

I am into web design. I would like to check my web page on IE. Is there any program that will let me load IE on my Mac book pro. I do not want to put microsoft Xp through parallels or fusion. How do Web Desingers build web sites with there Mac's?

Thank you Ralph Irwin irwin209@verizon.net

2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Testing on Windows through Parallels or VMWare Fusion (or Boot Camp, although that is really inconvenient) is the only way to properly test. You can try loading IE 6/7 on OS X using Windows environment emulators (like WINE), but the experience and rendering is not always the same. I tried it and ditched it after less than a day. Like it or not, 80%+ of web users out there use IE 6 or 7, and you must test for them in the same environment they use. That's why Parallels is one of the first things I open every day at work. It's a necessary evil, but as a responsible designer you have to cater to those users by looking at the web site as they would look at it.

3. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

use this website:
    ipinfo.info/netrenderer/index.php

just typ in a URL and it will show a screenshot of it in IE5.5, 6.0, 7.0 and 8.0 beta

4. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

5. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I tried that, but I found it didn't always render fonts faithfully.

And "screenshotting" websites just get tedious to use after while.

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

ies4osx may not be perfect, but it does render about 95% correctly in things I've tested, and is better than setting up a virtual machine.

7. HaGG macrumors member

The site tominated recommended (netrenderer) is great, I've been using it for a while now.

8. notnek macrumors 6502

notnek

9. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

It's not "better" than setting up a virtual machine...it may be cheaper and easier, so if that works for you then great. But a VM lets you actually see it as your users will see it, so if you have to be very precise/very sure of your rendering, the best thing to do is actually run Windows. For basic layout checking though, I agree IEs4osx would probably do fine.

10. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Yeah, I meant "better" in terms of being cheaper, easier to setup, and takes up less HD space. Though for professional sites when it's very important to have things render perfectly, a virtual machine would be better. For my own web site it renders 100% correctly with ies4osx so I don't need any virtual machines. Though I may start warning users with IE that they're running out of date software to try an get them to upgrade.