Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gsusser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
Medellín, Colombia
Does anyone have experience with this? I'm so paranoid! I'm traveling to Latin America. The iMac is only 2 years old and works great, so I don't want to sell it and buy another one. Besides, it would cost ridiculously more where I'm going.

There's no safe or inexpensive way to ship it. I can't buy an extra seat for it per TSA. My only choice is to check it with my luggage. I thought of buying a hard shell suitcase for it, but it doesn't fit in the maximum allowable size suitcase, even unboxed. I have the original box and the box it was shipped in. Is packing it well sufficient to make the risk minimal of any damage if I check it? Or, any other suggestions?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
For the cost of a plane seat you could buy a MacBook and take that along instead.
And... you could even use it on the plane!

gsusser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
Medellín, Colombia
True, but it's not 27" is it? ;)

Besides this sounds like a permanent move by the OP and not just a vacation.

Yes to permanent. And correct, a laptop does not replace an iMac. The cost of seat is about $300 and the cost of checking the computer with my luggage is about $200.

F23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
put it in a cage like for animals and stuff it with styrofoam and bubble wrap, good luck & safe travels

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Yes to permanent. And correct, a laptop does not replace an iMac. The cost of seat is about $300 and the cost of checking the computer with my luggage is about $200.
I would check it in using the original box — but also wrap the outside of the box to hide what it is from the baggage handlers…

Then make sure to declare it correctly at customs.

Double check on the taxes… it might well be better for you to sell it now and the buy a new one at the destination.

Last edited:

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
You need a case like this. Put a lot of fragile stickers on it and get insurance.

Agreed, a proper transport case is really needed. But unless there are plans to move and use it multiple times, the cost probably outweighs selling and buying new at destination.

Personally I would not plan to try to transport it as checked in "flight luggage" but would look to get it properly sent separately by parcel company (DHL, UPS, etc.). But again, may well be cheaper to sell and buy new.

Fravin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Back in 2014 I was able to bring a 27" iMac from France to Brazil.

During Check-in the Air France personnel has refused to take it as a hand luggage due to it's size, obviously. And I've demanded a insurance from the company to certify me that it was safe to dispatch it. As they refused to do it, a manager was called. As he saw the computer he has agreed to take it as "special volume". It flews inside the cabin, along with baby trolleys and other sensible stuff.

The departure procedure was regular, I have go trough X-ray security with the iMac, entered the international area and while on the gate a crew member toke the iMac and has gave me a receipt.

While in Brazil, before leaving the plane, I've picked my iMac.

As for reference, the iMac was simply inside the white box.

So I think you don't need extra care, or extra fee. As I didn't. Proceed to the Check-In with it and the personnel there will be able to handle the situation. My impression is that is kinda a regular procedure for them.

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
Back in 2014 I was able to bring a 27" iMac from France to Brazil.

During Check-in the Air France personnel has refused to take it as a hand luggage due to it's size, obviously. And I've demanded a insurance from the company to certify me that it was safe to dispatch it. As they refused to do it, a manager was called. As he saw the computer he has agreed to take it as "special volume". It flews inside the cabin, along with baby trolleys and other sensible stuff.

The departure procedure was regular, I have go trough X-ray security with the iMac, entered the international area and while on the gate a crew member toke the iMac and has gave me a receipt.

While in Brazil, before leaving the plane, I've picked my iMac.

As for reference, the iMac was simply inside the white box.

So I think you don't need extra care, or extra fee. As I didn't. Proceed to the Check-In with it and the personnel there will be able to handle the situation. My impression is that is kinda a regular procedure for them.

Great service! But I think you were very fortunate; and I, personally, wouldn’t presume everyone always gets that helpful manager and service. There is no massive cabin space available for such items.

Fravin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Great service! But I think you were very fortunate; and I, personally, wouldn’t presume everyone always gets that helpful manager and service. There is no massive cabin space available for such items.

Actually, it's not a helpful manager that will keep you iMac secure. Is the law. If the airliner can't insure you computer to be damaged, they are bound to provide a solution.

The airplane have a special compartment to carry such itens. But you have to claim it. ;)

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
Actually, it's not a helpful manager that will keep you iMac secure. Is the law. If the airliner can't insure you computer to be damaged, they are bound to provide a solution.

The airplane have a special compartment to carry such itens. But you have to claim it. ;)

I do not believe that is correct. The airline is not obliged to take such items. But whatever you think...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.