Check out my portfolio

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by bntz313, Jul 23, 2009.

1. bntz313 macrumors 6502

Ok, So I redesign my whole portfolio today. Please tell me what you think.
    -I have not fixed all the coding as of yet. I'm just trying to get a critique on the look.

Thank you

AnthonyBetancourt.com

2. bntz313 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Some quick thoughts.

1. The main navigation, while nice on its own, lacks the creative feeling of the rest of the page.
    2. The yellow text on a orange background really lacks contrast and makes it unreadable. The small size of the text makes it hard to read.
    3. The header area feels like something is missing. There's a blank area and it feels like something didn't load (maybe it didn't).
    4. Text under the images is too small to read (and I'm even on a 22" monitor).
    5. I do like the color scheme.
    6. I found it a little confusing on the home page where you have the newest designs, I expected to see those images when I clicked on them, not to be taken another page.
    7. You may want to display your email address differently. Having it straight out allows spam crawlers to pick up your email address, which will lead to more spam in your email. You can use the "name AT domain DOT com" syntax, or if your web server supports PHP you can put in a contact form so they never see your email address directly.
    I didn't bother looking at the code since you said it wasn't done.

4. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Pick 3 colours, max. You have blue, green, yellow, different shades of orange, white, grey and grey scale of your photo. If you are trying to be colourful, I'm not seeing it.

5. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

On the contrary, I quite like the multiple colors.
    And BTW, I love the Mitten 'Green' Poster. :)

6. bntz313 thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't think that the colors in the header were to over powering that I needed to use them throughout the whole layout.

7. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I don't think it's overpowering anything, but it's one of the first rules in design, don't use too many colours. If you look at any site, ad, posters...etc, only a couple main colours are used.

Remember simple is key and make everything as simple as possible. It's one of the reasons why we like Apple so much.

8. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

what year are you in design school? the site looks decent.. but your portfolio contents seem to lack any sort of range in design adaptability. you use the same generic layout with same typeface, and text placement in nearly all of your designs. this look, in my opinion works for some of your clients, but the biker bobs designs don't don't seem to relate to the content in my opinion

9. bntz313 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm in my second year at the local community college then I'm transferring to a uni