Check out my website and give me some feedback please

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by diamond3, Apr 6, 2007.

1. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Needs more pictures and colours, it's a little dull at the moment.

Plus, lose the naff font on the home page, make it something really clean and simple. That looks really tacky IMO.

It's content is fine though, plenty of information...

3. diamond3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that was the one thing I notice is a lack of pictures or something to grab your attention more. Now its just trying to find out what I could put on there.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Font unreadable.

Looks like you do home video transfers.

If you have an About Us page, it would really be a good idea to say something on that page about the business.

5. diamond3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I actually had more information about it on my file, i just haven't uploaded it yet. I have now changed the font (the home page - important information stuff) so its easier to read.

Do you guys have any ideas about what kind of pictures I could put on there. Would it seem weird to put pictures that I have taken but don't have any relation to the product/services? I was going to maybe show some examples of the dvd and the cases etc also.

Thanks for the comments everyone. They have been helpful

6. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

Never use images for text unless it is a stylized font like on the home page!

7. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

It does need more pictures, I would put somthing like a film reel or a DVD disc or something like that for pics, maybe a pirture of people having fun on vacation. Also I don't like the green on the video trasfer page, it is too outlandish.

8. diamond3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey that was really helpful. I didn't catch that before. The problem was with iWeb. On the video transfer service page i had pasted it in, and in iweb it was as text but for some reason it made it as an image when published. I didn't want it to appear that way. I will have to try and figure out how to change it. Thats something you don't realize when you just look at the website and see that everything is there. I can edit the text/page in iWeb just fine.

9. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

10. Elixer macrumors regular

Its alright but I would try to put some color. It seems rather bland right now.

11. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

I need to be honest, I like the site pretty well. It's simple, clean, and organized. It's easy to read - white on black is very easy on the eyes. Also, given that your clientele will likely be people who aren't all that skillful with computers - which is the reason they're seeking your services, I think that a very simple, easy to navigate site such as this is perfect for your target audience. I wouldn't stress too much about (lack of) color.

My only gripe is that the front page does not match any of the other pages...! Also, don't take this the wrong way, but I'm not a big fan of the diamond on the front page. I don't really have any idea as to what to replace it with, though, so that's not the most construtive criticism. I would work to make the front page look more like the rest of it. Hope that helps.

12. jng macrumors 65816

jng

you don't need color to be luxurious. i think with the idea of diamond you should go for luxurious.

if you instead use a white background with black text and keep lots of negative space with an interesting play of color in subtitles, it'd be great.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I mirror what is being said. But some advice, I'd put a disclaimer there about how you cannot burn VHS to DVD if the VHS is any movie.
    I came into a place with a movie once that is not on DVD. It's an old documentary and they would not do it without a release. I also came in with a prom VHS tape that I bought from one of my proms and they would not do it...another release issue since a professional company sold it to me.

The site, I would keep as simple as possible. The font was hard for me to read but I am tired and it could be my eyes.

14. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

It's bugging me that the font used on the "Video Transfer" page is different from the font used on the "Custom Projects" and "About Us" pages.

15. diamond3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alright. I will keep making changes on it and then update it sometime this week. Some of the changes I am thinking of implementing based on your suggestions are:

1. Front page font - Different, easier to read
    2. Front page picture - Make it smaller, more focus on the name, add something little extra so its not just a page with little info.
    3. Fix all the pages so the text is actual text that you can highlight, and not like a picture (i don't know why iWeb did this?)
    4. Place some pictures of a dvd case for example, dvd label.
    5. Work on implementing some color, but keeping it clean and not distracting.
    6. Finish the "About Us" page.

Things I want to keep:
    I like the black background with white text. Its a personal preference. I think it gives it a nicer feel.

16. nightsky macrumors member

Tasteful

Striking, elegant. Not sure if its sanscript for you add and info not a good idea, too much effort to read such important information and might look better stretched across towards bottom of page not detracting from such a crisp photgraph. Depict what your services offer by sample and suplement information w/text.