Check out refurbs now! Great deals on there currently

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macJC50640, Feb 3, 2009.

1. macJC50640 macrumors regular

I know the refurb page changes, so I'd reccomend to check it out now!

Some really good deals I see that are under $1500:
    White MacBook 2.1 - $849
    Baseline iMac 20 inch - $949
    White MacBook 2.4 - $949
    MacBook Air - $999
    BlackBook 2.4 - $1,049
    MacBook Air 2.8 - $1,099
    MacBook Pro previous generation 2.2 - $1,249
    MacBook Pro previous generation 2.4 - $1,299

I know there are always a few good deals on the refurb page, but this is a lot! That $1,249 MacBook Pro with NVIDIA looks tempting... :p

2. rareflares macrumors regular

I love Apple refurbs.

Just got the 8-core 2.8 Ghz Mac Pro i was looking for last week for $2399 (retail price is $2799).

Looks like brand new too.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Thats because half the time the stuff you get is brand new.

4. rareflares macrumors regular

how does that make sense?

5. MacGnG macrumors member

MacGnG

i got a new blackbook 2.4 for 100 bucks more from maczone

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's true. If someone returns something new, either unopened in the box, or opened and never touched, Apple cannot legally sell it as new and it becomes refurbished.

Also, refurbished machines get surprise upgrades because Apple only cares about giving you the minimum of what is listed.

People have gotten HDD, CPU, RAM, and even GPU (Mac Pro) upgrades from the refurb store.

7. rareflares macrumors regular

well, now you've just gotten my hopes up. time to check for any under the hood changes... :p

8. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I can attest to this. I bought a MBP Classic stock 2.5 refurb and it came fully maxed out i.e. 2.6GHz/4GB RAM/200GB 7.2K RPM drive

9. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Unless...

you get some unknown upgrades with the refurbs, those prices aren't that great. Especially, the refurb MB, it's a TERRIBLE deal

For example:
    White MB 2.1 (old intel graphics) --- $849 refurb (plus tax for everyone)
    New White MB 2.0(new nvidia graphics) $959 at Amazon (no tax, except for a few states)

So for a consumer in, say California that would work out to:
    849+70=919 for Refurb
    959.99+0=959.99 for NEW

A big, whopping difference of $40 to go with the refurb with the refurb.

Now let's see what you get for an EXTRA $40
    NEW MB
    Faster FSB
    An extra 1GB of RAM
    A Superdrive (refurb comes with Combodrive)
    More shared video ram and new graphics

It's a NO brainer! :cool:

10. chefhow macrumors newbie

I was looking at them this morning, my PC finally took a full and complete dump and I am going to make the change to Mac, are the older generation macbooks worth buying new at Amazon? Can I buy the extended warranty even though I am not buying it thru Apple? My local Apple store has the previous generation Mac Books in white for $1099.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If I purchased the previous gen 17" MBP, 2.5 GHz C2D with LED 1920 x 1280 screen resolution (matte screen), I would save $400 after edu discount and the only difference is the older keyboard (which I prefer), a non-unibody construction (not as good), replaceable battery, DDR2 RAM instead of the faster DDR3, and I get an additional FW400 port for a total of 2 FireWire ports rather than just one.

None of these things make one machine better than another, so saving $400 is massive.

12. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Do NOT no matter what get the old MacBooks. Intel graphics are TERRIBLE even for average things. Either get the new white MacBook (which is kinda a "Meh") or the 2.0 unibody, which actually has a great price for the features. If you need the power, you can see above a refurb MBP for a damn nice price! If I'd like the keyboard on the old ones, I'd be placing an order, even if I wouldn't need it :p

13. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

They're ripping you off then, Chef.

Amazon has the NEW gen WHITE MB (if you need a FW port ) for $949.99 new. If you don't need a fw port then check out Amazon and others for better prices, or even Apple's refurb site for the Alum's.
    If you MUST buy from Apple and are a Student, you can get the new gen White MB from Apple online's edu store for 949 as well (but you have to pay tax!).

14. ryanvsrobots macrumors member

the one thing that kept me from going to refurb is...

defective graphics card :/ sorry if i am spending ~2k i want it to work

15. Doju macrumors 68000

It's as easy as returning it then. :confused:

I love refurbs.

16. rareflares macrumors regular

the same warranty applies as a new product. just return get the full refund and if you're really nice they might even send you a better spec'd computer in return (that wouldn't be a refurb but they wouldn't charge you anything extra).

17. bobriot macrumors member

I've bought two macs on the refurb store and not only were they brand new they came with brand new system disks, keyboard and mice. I then purchased applecare for them so there's a full 3 year warranty on them.

My third mac I bought in a local store and it had a fan rattle so I took it back (24 hours later) only to see it on the refurb store for £200 less than I had paid.

The time to buy is after they have refreshed the lines (like the new unibody macs) and then these units start turning up on the refurb store. The older models although cheap do not really offer good value for money as the base models have often superseded the specs.

Refurb all the way for me now.

By the way you get a plain brown cardboard box not a glossy white apple box but what the hell...

18. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

With a refurb you get:

# It performs and looks like new
    # You get the same one-year warranty as new
    # The computer carries the same eligibility for Apple Care as new
    # It is fully tested (including full burn-in testing)
    # It is refurbished with replacement parts for any defective modules identified in testing
    # It is thoroughly cleaned and inspected
    # It is repackaged (including appropriate manuals, cables, new boxes, etc.) - nothing is missing
    # It includes the operating software originally shipped with the unit and the custom software offered with that system

19. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

For some of the items on there, you're right. But for others, you're wrong. See: MacBook Air. Amazing deal!

20. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Some stuff may not even boot the first time etc so its still basically new!

21. cam89 macrumors newbie

I really want to score one of those macbook pros for 1300. whens the last time somebody has seen them up? I know they were up all the time like a month ago but are they still on there pretty often. would appreciate any reply. thanks

Cameron