check out this tiny crack in glass above vol buttons

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TB07-NJ, Jul 30, 2015.

1. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

6 PLUS

This (obviously!) is a tiny crack on the glass (on the "unlit" part of screen) directly above and between the vol +- buttons. I have never dropped this thing and am just wondering if anyone has ever had a similar problem. It's very tiny and doesn't even go onto the "lit" portion of the screen.

It's not a big deal and I am certainly not going to bother to replace it because it has no effect on the display and unless you look very closely you can't even see it but I am wondering if it is some sort of stress crack. It almost looks as if it were hit with a tiny tiny hammer! :) There has always been a thin case on it so if it was dropped that spot would be (and is) 99% protected. There are no other chips or dings on the phone that would make me think it had been dropped just this wayward crack. The other white "specks" above and to the right of it are dust not chips. Except for that spot the rest of the phone is A+.

Just wondering if it might be caused by pressing the buttons too hard - not that I press them any harder than normal!

[​IMG]

2. Indian Devil macrumors regular

It might have hit something while in your pocket when walking, very normal and something that is very easy to not notice.

3. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

I guess that is possible although I carry it in an empty front right pocket. All my "stuff" usually is on the left since I'm lefty. I guess it's possible that one time there might have been something in it. It's just a strange place for it to crack

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Or looks like it was brushed or bumped against something hard that made the glass break.
    It definitely doesn't happen on its own. Must have hit something hard cause a chunk of glass came out where it cracked.

5. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

Actually the glass is still there. Looks like a hole but it's not which makes it even less visible. But you and the other person are probably correct. Maybe when I was using the phone to hammer in some small brads that might have done it. :D The photo magnification makes it look worse than it actually is.

6. Newtons Apple, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015

Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Apple has been known to replace phones that have a single break in the glass when they show no dents or other physical damage.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

At least it didn't cause a spiderweb of a crack that will grow - hopefully it will remain tiny like that. As mentioned above, it certainly cannot hurt to visit an apple genius and see if there's anything they can do.

8. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

As above, it doesn't hurt to go to the Genius Bar. They might just even replace the front only and might not even charge you if you get lucky.

9. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks. Yes I know (WRT Apple Store) but I just hate dealing with Apple stores. Maybe it's because I'm "almost 70" and agree 100% with the great comedy rant from LEWIS BLACK. I just can't stand even walking into one.

I'm sure you have heard it but if not search for LEWIS BLACK VISITS THE APPLE STORE. Just for equal time he also skewers VERIZON and "DROIDS." Maybe I'll send my grandson in as my representative! :D

10. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

I agree with some of the above comments, it doesn't looked dropped I'd say its been knocked whilst in your pocket or bag or something like that.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Not fond of the Apple Store myself. Hate crowds and the place is always packed. I always go during working hours so there are less but still packed. The Geeks have always been very nice, tattoos, ear rings and all!;)

12. Sixcranker macrumors member

Sixcranker

I had a friend who had similar damage.....had it in his pocket most of the morning, bumped into the corner of the table in a meeting. Then when he got a call, he noticed the damage. Just sorry luck sometimes.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Probably hit it while in his pocket.

14. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

Actually I can say with 98.6% certainty that is NOT what happened but it definitely does look that way. Can't argue that point.

Not only that, but that spot is always covered by the lip of the case for "face down" protection.. I have carried many (1 at a time :) ) iPhones in that always empty pocket with never a problem. It would take a very specific targeted shot to get that spot and nothing else especially with the case protecting the edge.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I guess aliens did it then
    Not sure what you're asking for but the only way to know if they will fix the screen for free is bring it to Apple and hope for the best.
    But it is user damage and obviously not a manufacturers defect or something that happens on its own.

16. frazzm737 macrumors regular

frazzm737

Obviously, something happened to the phone that caused the glass to break. None of us here can know for sure what caused it and none of us can know for sure what Apple will do. Make an appointment, and see what the folks at the Apple Store have to say.

17. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

That was it! I caught him!
    [​IMG]

18. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

Basically, all kidding aside, the original point of this thread was to find out of this was a known issue with this phone since the crack goes between the volume controls and maybe was caused by some kind of stress from the button mechanism.

It's not that important to me now to run to Apple to get it replaced as it is barely visible. I still have warranty until April of next year so if by some chance they have a "grownups only day" at one of the 2 local Apple stores I'll drop in and see what they say. Now the 2 stores in my area (NNJ) are like day camps with zillions of little tykes (10-12) running around like they are on a field trip. Maybe right after labor day when school starts and just before the "next big thing" crush comes out I'll see what they say.

Maybe my AARP card will get me a N/C replacement screen! :D If not, I'll just live with it.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not a "known" issue.
    It's a simple issue, you cracked your screen wether you like to admit it or not. It's not the phones, the volume buttons or Apples fault.
    And no such thing as "grown ups day" only.
    Just like any retail store there's old and young people and obviously it all varies by time and location. If you have a young crowd phobia or annoyance issue then it's your problem if you can't go.

20. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

Really? No grownups day? Shocked! o_O I'll have to write to Cuzzin Tim and make that suggestion.

Cheese and crackers man (or lady) ..... why is everyone so serious around here? I wonder if Al Gore envisioned this when he invented The Internet?

DISCLAIMER: THAT WAS A JOKE! I know it wasn't Al, it was AOL that invented the internet !

21. hockeyman94 macrumors regular

Apple may replace it for free. There technician guide says that if there is only one single crack with no signs of impact then it can be replaced for free under the standard one year apple warranty. Its worth a shot.

22. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

For me I would always be drawn to that on my iPhone.

I'd get it looked at before the issue ’grows‘

23. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

Thats near the iPhone's "weak spot" ! (As bendagte users and media say...)
    Did you tied your shoes or something with the phone in your pocket ?

Attached Files:

24. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

I probably would be too except it is so tiny "in real life" the lip of the case covers it. It could have been there for months. Had I not removed the case (a very thin Spigen case) I'd never have seen it.

25. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

I'm sure I tied my shoes at least once but at my age my pants are quite loose! :D Now those diagrams are what I was looking for. That proves it wasn't the damned alien after all and maybe a design problem! Once we get rid of the Apple Store Summer Day Camp after labor day I'll have to go in there and see what they say.