Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
California

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
i didn't know they had iTunes back in 1978 -- that must have been one giant iPod back in those days:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Corps_v._Apple_Computer

If you actually read it you'd see that most of it is related to Apple doing stuff related to music.

And the first trademark dispute was filed by Apple Corps, which is a multimedia corporation, that also owns Apple Records. Multimedia and computers "just kinda" cross paths, so it makes sense that there is an infringement there.

After that dispute they agreed that Apple Computer would stay out of the music business and Apple Records would stay out of the computer business. All the following disputes were about Apple Computer doing stuff related to music.

jkb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
California
If you actually read it you'd see that most of it is related to Apple doing stuff related to music.

And the first trademark dispute was filed by Apple Corps, which is a multimedia corporation, that also owns Apple Records. Multimedia and computers "just kinda" cross paths, so it makes sense that there is an infringement there.

but you can relate anything to anything these days. in the url PBF posted, a golf clubs making company was suing Disney. they are nowhere near related, right? people can sue for any reason... lawyers are a hungry bunch.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
but you can relate anything to anything these days. in the url PBF posted, a golf clubs making company was suing Disney. they are nowhere near related, right? people can sue for any reason... lawyers are a hungry bunch.

Well, until you have read the details of it you don't know if there was or wasn't anything related, as proved by you showing that link about the Apple infringement.

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
I still like WhatsApp much better. Ping irritates me sometimes. When you tilt the screen to go landscape, it's all screwed up. Plus, the text box jitters when you type in it.

sparkomatic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
sorry -- tell-a-friend via SMS is not working right now. it will be fixed in the upcoming version. also we pulled blackberry version from our OTA site because i was getting 20 emails a day asking when chat for blackberry will be ready:)

Ahhh, this explains it. Everyone in my office uses a BlackBerry except me. So, I was trying like crazy to download this on their devices yesterday but couldn't find it anywhere. Wish your website said it was no longer available for BB.

I know chat would not work but I wanted to check out the BB interface. Looking forward to a future version when cross-chat will work. Hope it's soon so I can load this back up on my iPhone!

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
Would be nice to include an unregister option if someone opts out at some point.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
jkb - i've had a couple of cases where one message didn't turn up but the following conversation back and forth is ok.

Can you troubleshoot? Has anyone else got had this?

RollTide1017

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2009
Montgomery, AL
i can say with 99% certainty that app will always stay free.
Still may give this a try but, I just find it odd that there is now a charge for Whatsapp only a month and a half after you posted the above quote.

Not a big deal since it is only .99 but, just a little odd to me, what changed?

jkb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
California
i believe it was a dropped message

yes, this can happen if you are connected on Wi-Fi, but start walking away past the Wi-Fi range and continue sending messages. this is because iPhone OS will take our message (tcp packet) and simply send it off to the server without without realizing Wi-Fi connection/reception is not strong enough.

in the future version we will have a delivery confirmation (ala-BBM) which will pretty much solve the issue of these edge cases when packets don't get delivered.

ODog4523

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2009
I've been trying this app out with a couple friends and it works really well. Last couple days though some messages have been delayed by hours. Is this a known issue??

Keep up the good work!

jkb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
California
I've been trying this app out with a couple friends and it works really well. Last couple days though some messages have been delayed by hours. Is this a known issue??

there are two possible explanations:

1. we "throttle" push notifications as to not annoy the recipient: http://www.whatsapp.com/faq/#34

2. the way push notifications work, is your phone establishes and maintains a data connection to apple push servers. if you enter a building or a subway where your phone is not able to keep connection open to apple, it will try to re-connect when coverage is available and will ask apple for any missed push notifications.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
If this was free I would certainly use it. I understand you want to charge, and I'm OK with paying, but not until it has all the features I want. When you're in development, free is the right way to go so you can generate a userbase and receive valuable feedback on what to include in the app. But at the same time, I sympathize with your need to cover costs.

The single most important thing I can think of to tell you that this app needs, is the Delivered, Received, and Read status that the BBM app has. That dwarfs the need for anything like GPS location, emoticons, picture messaging, or anything else. Once you master that, you will get those who love BBM to flock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.