Check spec before I buy advice

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by SpinalTap, Feb 27, 2014.

1. SpinalTap macrumors regular

Sep 25, 2003
    Bournville, UK
    I suspect one of the drives on my 2009 Mac Mini Server is failing. If so, I can't wait on a possible Mac Mini Haswell model upgrade.

My instinct is to buy a 2012 2.6Ghz i7 with single 256GB SSD. My intention would be to then buy a separate 2.5" 9.5mm HGST Travelstar 5K1500 (1.5TB) drive, to create a large capacity Fusion drive (I want to maintain my existing BootCamp partition on one of the drive's three separate platters).

My understanding is that if I erase the 256GB SSD, install the additional 1.5GB drive, then Disk Utility will flag an error message before asking if I want to initiate a fusion drive installation.

Is this correct?

Or, would I need to enter Terminal to effect Fusion Drive?
  2. blanka macrumors 68000

Jul 30, 2012
    Moneywise you are better off buying the stock drive and slide in a Samsung 840pro yourself.
    I personally like to have all work files on the HD, so no Fusion for me.
    And may I ask why Bootcamp? Bootcamp is nice to unleash the full power of a 680MX in an iMac for serious gaming, but with the HD4000 unleashing the "true GPU power" is probably not a goal.
    I have my Windows partition floating in a flex-size disk image file, it boots in 10 seconds within OSX, it can access all my working files via shared folders, and I don't have to mess with partitions, reboots or file access troubles.
  3. Karlitr0s macrumors member

Jan 27, 2014
    Forgive me for not knowing this, but are you saying that you'll get the same frame rates for a given game in Windows via Parallels as you would with Bootcamp?
  4. Schnort macrumors regular

Oct 24, 2013
    No, he's saying that the HD4000 isn't really a decent enough GPU to bootcamp to windows to play a game on because it will still stink (though less).

I'm pretty sure windows via parallels isn't going to give you a decent gaming experience on any hardware.
  5. fredr500 macrumors regular

Apr 12, 2007
    Why don't you just replace the failing drive with the intention of moving it to a new mini when it gets released?
  6. SpinalTap, Feb 28, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014

SpinalTap thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 25, 2003
    Bournville, UK
    My wife is a teacher, and requires use of Windows only programs for her work. I run Parallels off Drive1 on my server, while BootCamp resides on Drive2 (which is accessed by Parallels' 'My BootCamp').

FWIW, CrossOver13 provides native speeds for playing any Windows game - but without requiring a WindowsOS -

I don't want to 'crack open' the case on my 2009 server for fear of wrecking it/before recycling it.
  7. Schnort macrumors regular

Oct 24, 2013
    CrossOver uses Wine as its Windows compatibility mechanism. And Wine most certainly cannot provide "native speeds for playing any Windows Game".

It only supports DirectX9, and adds quite a bit of overhead between the game and the hardware that isn't present when running natively under windows.