Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 22, 2018
With Auto Correction, Check Spelling, toggled on, Pages 10 (build 6952) for iPadOS is underlining in red words which are spelt correctly, like ‘the’.

If I edit ‘the’ to ‘them’, the red underline disappears. If I then go back to ‘them’ and delete the ‘m’ back to the original ‘the’, the red underline disappears.

Very time-consuming, for words as common as ‘the’, and it seems every time I edit a previously-written sentence, a random word which is spelt correctly red-underlines.

Obviously, the easy answer is to turn off Auto Correction, which defeats the point of having the function.

This has only started occurring since last weeks’ update.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Yeah, I also get that once in awhile with the macOS version of Pages. I'm not sure, but I think that it may check grammar and style at the same time it's checking spelling. I just went thru the options with the iOS version and it only states Auto Correct on or off.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Can you post a screen shot?

It sounds like its trying to correct grammar. You used 'spelt' a couple times so I'm assuming you aren't from the US? Apologizes if I'm mistaken. But if that is the case your grammar could vary slightly from the norm. The is tough to screw up and I find it unlikely pages could pick out its misuse (specifying without context ; the in place of a) unless you were using it in front of a pronoun but that would just be weird.

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 22, 2018
Can you post a screen shot?

It sounds like its trying to correct grammar. You used 'spelt' a couple times so I'm assuming you aren't from the US? Apologizes if I'm mistaken. But if that is the case your grammar could vary slightly from the norm. The is tough to screw up and I find it unlikely pages could pick out its misuse (specifying without context ; the in place of a) unless you were using it in front of a pronoun but that would just be weird.

Pardon my French! But my “grammar could vary slightly from the norm”!!!!!! Americans do not speak American. They speak English. I am English. American grammar varies from the norm, old chap.

But thank thee for thou input. One shall posteth a screenshoteth in due course-eth.
[automerge]1586268487[/automerge]
Here be-eth one‘s screenshot.

Attachments

• A059C557-710E-4962-A50C-0A4C66DBA621.jpeg
    A059C557-710E-4962-A50C-0A4C66DBA621.jpeg
    17.1 KB · Views: 57
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.