Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

857motoX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
A few days ago my house caught on fire and i had my macbook sitting open on the table... as you can see it was frozen to the table from the firemen drenching it with water while it was -10 degrees outside... It won't turn on. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_0021.JPG
    IMG_0021.JPG
    706.1 KB · Views: 516
  • IMG_0022.JPG
    IMG_0022.JPG
    715.3 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    715.7 KB · Views: 377

Vulcan

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
A few days ago my house caught on fire and i had my macbook sitting open on the table... as you can see it was frozen to the table from the firemen drenching it with water while it was -10 degrees outside... It won't turn on. Any suggestions?

Sorry that your house caught fire, stinks around this time of the year :( For some fun you can always take it to the Genius Bar and ask :D

metroid87706

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
New Baltimore, MI
I'm sorry to hear about the fire. :(

But that MacBook is really cool looking. (Literally! XD)

Yeah, I say file for an insurance claim. Then you can get a new UniBody! :D

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
yep it didnt work.. im warming the oven up right now!

I would let it thaw itself at room temperature.
if you accelarate thawing you may cause damage through warping and too much water flow suddenly.

gently chip the ice on the outer shell away and let it thaw at room temp.

you didn't relly put it in the microwave did you?

italiano40

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
NY
you can save the hard drive, the computer may not start but the hard drive should work fine in another machine

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Cool pictures, I have never seen a frozen MacBook before. :eek:

Sorry to hear about the fire though. Having gone through a house fire before (a few days before Christmas several years ago), I know that it is a hard and emotional time. I hope that things work out for you and your house is repaired/rebuilt as soon as possible. :) :)

As others have said, the best thing to do is let the insurance company buy you a new MacBook.

hhlee

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2005
take everything apart and let sit to dry completely before running any electricity through

i would NOT rush on taking out your hd and hooking it up as water could have gotten in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.