Check this out (Flyer posted at University)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ECUpirate44, Mar 26, 2012.

1. ECUpirate44, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012

ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I was pretty surprised when I saw this flyer posted on one of the bulletin boards at my University. Not only does he charge to jailbreak your device, but he also claims he will get you free apps from the app store (assuming the use of installous). The apps he has in the pics are IntellisceenX and BiteSMS, both $10 Cydia Apps that this kid claims he can get for free. I wonder what repo :rolleyes:. He claims he can make your internet faster! haha pulled that one out of his ***. Sorry for ranting, but this is the kind of stuff that gives jailbreaking a bad name. I feel like emailing this kid and telling him what I really think, but its not worth it.
    Screen Shot 2012-03-26 at 3.18.22 PM.png

2. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

3. ECUpirate44 thread starter macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Sounds good to me.

4. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I was able to get BiteSMS for free last year when I was jailbroken. It did have ads though. I can't remember the repo I used though.

5. coolhands macrumors regular

Someone should bring an A5 device to him running 5.1 on it and see what his reaction is:D

6. TomAndrews macrumors member

I think the pictures of the apps are just pictures - he doesn't mention that he can get them for free...
    When he said he could get apps for free, i took it as the apps from the official app store (which he hasn't pictured at all)?

7. ECUpirate44 thread starter macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I doubt he's asking for people's paypal info to buy Cydia apps after claiming to get App Store apps for free. Whatever language he uses, his intent to to make a few bucks off something anyone can figure out using youtube, and then pirate apps for them.

8. Demonface macrumors 6502a

Reaction would be priceless. Watch him mess around with it trying to figure out if he can jailbreak. Its pretty funny because when you give some people who supposedly knows about phone they wouldnt be able to get through the menus and you'd have to be the one showing them what to do.LOL

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Isn't this a crime?

Not the jail breaking but advertising that he'll get apps from the app store for free. That's theft right?

10. ECUpirate44 thread starter macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

No doubt.

11. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

I walked into China Unicom last week with a buddy to help him buy an iPhone 4S... China Unicom, without asking him, installed 50 free apps - the vast majority of them were no free.

Fun world we live in

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

you see this stuff advertized on Craigslist all the time too. abet risky to make $10 imo. However I also a big Karma guy.

13. RodChester macrumors regular

RodChester

So what's the big deal with charging $10 for providing this service. Sure all the stuff to jailbreak is out there for free for people to do, but who cares if someone wants to pay $10 and have it done for them. I think $10 is a pretty good price for the time it takes to do the jailbreak. More power to him.

No for the claims of faster internet and setting people up with Installous. Well, that's a bit of a shame but hey it at least gets peoples attention.

14. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

You can offer all kinds of illegal services to get peoples attention, but it's still theft.

15. heyyitzmelissa macrumors 6502

I used to do this lucrative business. He knows it can't be jailbroken and he'll just tell you it can't be jailbroken.

16. Demonface macrumors 6502a

But hey you never know he might try to BS you and reload 5.0.1 and still try to charge you money. There are actually alot of no tech savy people which will fall for this and then we will see them on a forum comapining how they got scammed etc.

17. brayhite macrumors 6502a

It's not like this was posted at the local nursing home. It may be lucrative as one guy put it, but I'd imagine it's lucrative from the stance that a lot of people who didn't care to do it themselves but knew what it was paid the guy $10. Yeah, it may be a process easy enough to do via YouTube videos, but changing your oil is pretty easy too after reading a few books but that doesn't stop people charging to do it (and profiting).

18. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

How would he "reload" 5.0.1 when Apple stopped signing it? I'm not familiar with how downgrading works but can you use the shsh blobs from one device on other devices and more than one device?

19. Lycanthroat macrumors regular

Not a big deal -I used to hack peoples PSPs as a way to make money when I was a student. Some people have more money than time, and I never scammed anyone :\

He shot himself in the foot when he started going on about "GET APPS FOR FREE, FASTER INTERNETS". That immediately raises a red flag in my mind personally.

20. labman macrumors 604

labman

no shsh blobs only work on the personal device it was saved on so your shsh blobs will not work on my device because I failed to save them. who knows what he tells people once he has them in the door! Do a search and you can find a ton of sites claiming untethered jailbreaks and unlocks for all devices for a fee. it's false advertizing but they get away with it too.