Check this video - better multitouch that kills the iphone totally!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by musio, Feb 19, 2009.

1. musio macrumors 68020

musio

2. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Very amazing video. Of course, their current set-up to run the thing is huge. It would be like lugging around a mini-laptop rather than a phone at this point. :p

3. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

Not necessarily, the unit is still being developed/tested. They have it hooked up to a regular motherboard for testing.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It is very accurate and of course the real innovation here is sensitivity. I'm not sure how well it would do with touch though as styluses suck to use. I haven't been impressed with resistive touch screens in the past. We'll see how this technology does in the real world. However, this will, no doubt, be great for Wacom.

5. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

looks better than a lot of resistive technology

but im not 100% sure this is better than the iphone capacitance touch technology

BTW worst title ever ... totally

6. dlamin517 macrumors 6502

the pressure thing is an accident waiting to happen.

can u imagine that during games...CRACK!!!

7. Haephestos macrumors regular

Looks cool! Not sure it will outrun apple's screen yet.

8. svndmvn Guest

it kills capacitive screens in size, yes. And of course it costs less. Ok
    Doesn't anybody else enjoy how they can clean their iPhone screen while on without worrying about your cloth or whatever to interfere with your work? All the functionalities shown I'm pretty sure aren't new to capacitive screens, we'll see what happens. As mentioned already, it could probably be more successful with wacoms/tablets.

9. stevearm macrumors 6502a

Sorry what's so special about this?

The sensitivity thing is cool, but apart from that I'm struggling to see what's so amazing.

10. boonlar macrumors 6502

its a resistive screen not capacitive so you can use any object on it and it has very high precision

11. northy014 macrumors regular

From a technology point of view, Apple already have all of these features, and I don't believe they will move away from their multitouch screens after all they invested in them...

12. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I agree. I'm definitely not an Apple apologist, but I just don't see how the average cellphone user would benefit from this. Sure, you can use a stylus on this - but to what end? That said, I was very impressed how you could use a paint brush on the surface. I could see this being very exciting for an artist.

13. Kevlar macrumors 6502

The question is will the precision decrease over time or different ambient conditions which is the largest issue with resistive screens. Looks pretty cool though in the demo.

14. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

why the hell would i want to use a paintbrush on my phone

I prefer a phone that is only activated by a finger and an os that was build around FINGER USE AS THE FIRST INPUT DEVICE , then some fancy phone technology that requires a tool to be used

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Note to non-engineers: it's on a development board. No doubt the first few iPhone prototype circuits were even larger. Much larger.

The guy said it uses the AREA of touch, not pressure. Probably the iPhone's screen could do the same.

As for a stylus, I like having the option. Sometimes I dig one out just to draw diagrams before going to Home Depot. It's also a requirement for many enterprise and field apps that require signatures.

Looks like it does everything (and more) than that technology... and is cheaper to boot. Pretty much an engineering no-brainer.

Capacitive screens can be very large. I've used them up to 22" before.