Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Yikes I just looked at my bill online it was for $134… I couldn't get the activation waived and my employee discount is shown… You dont' get the FAN discount on the TMS4…

There is a cutoff for discounts ... I think its for features below either $20 or $30 ... can't remember (might even be 10).

Call att and they should be able to "bundle" the text plan with the data to make it applicable.

Dunno if it would work with that feature.

mikeyredk

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2003
There is a cutoff for discounts ... I think its for features below either $20 or $30 ... can't remember (might even be 10).

Call att and they should be able to "bundle" the text plan with the data to make it applicable.

Dunno if it would work with that feature.

So I called them to see if i can get it bundled up with the data plan and it was a no go BUT… Apparently with the enterprise data packages you get 200 free text messages for the flat $45 rate and 1500 messages if you step up to $55 (not really worth it but if you want to use your corporate discount it might be better to pay the extra $1)

jephersun

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2008
Daly City, CA
yea my friend who works at att told me only the voice plan would be discounted through fan. she said data will not. its better than before, where i didnt get any discount call or data when i was on the old iphone.

Cobra2001

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2007
SoCal
How's this for something I've never heard before...

I just came back from the mall where I had been going back and forth between the Apple store and the at&t store.

In the Apple store, I explained my situation to the sales rep regarding my FAN discount and that I understood I needed to remove it before purchasing an iPhone there. He gave me a special number to call and said that I should give it 48 hours to be certain that the discount is off before heading into the Apple store to buy the iPhone.

Later in the at&t store, I mentioned what the Apple employee had told me and they said I actually had two options. Either I or Apple could call the number I received and have the FAN/IRU code temporarily deactivated for a period of 12 hours. This would allow me to purchase the phone and not have to go through the hassle of removing the discount and going two months without it. Or, the other option, was to have at&t remove the discount right there for me, go the the Apple store and purchase the iPhone and then have the discount put back onto my account at at&t but with the understanding that it would take two billing cycles for the discount to kick back in.

It seems like a no brainer to try option one first, but when I heard this today, I was wondering if it was too good to be true. I have not heard reports of this before online. Perhaps this is a new workaround for FAN discount holders wishing to purchase an iPhone in an Apple store? Thoughts?...

Well I just had an opportunity to call the number I was given by the Apple store employee and it took me directly to a department that that can remove the discount for me. But unfortunately, the info I got from the at&t store employee was incorrect and you can't temporarily deactivate the code for a period of 12 hours. This group can take it off (usually happens immediately) and then you call them back to put it back on. After doing so, it will show up online immediately but will take 2 billing cycles to start working again and providing you the discount you had before.

I just wanted to be sure to clear this up. Thanks.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
I don't know what people's issues are with some of these bills.

I called up and just asked, "Can you take off my activation fee? I don't want to pay $36 dollars." AT&T rep said "Sure, I just removed it."

NoOtherOne

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Wilmington, Dela-where?
I have a FAN discount, and I'm currently using it on another 3G phone. The discount is taken off the voice plan, but not the data plan, so I'm assuming it will be the same deal when I get the iPhone....

I heard somewhere the business users had to go to the AT&T store rather than the Apple store to get their discounted service. Will my FAN discount continue to be applied to the iPhone if I purchase it at the Apple store?

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
I heard somewhere the business users had to go to the AT&T store rather than the Apple store to get their discounted service. Will my FAN discount continue to be applied to the iPhone if I purchase it at the Apple store?

If you FAN is attached to your account at the time of purchase Apple won't let you buy the phone because the system they use won't allow them to activate phones with corporate discounts.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I have a FAN discount, and I'm currently using it on another 3G phone. The discount is taken off the voice plan, but not the data plan, so I'm assuming it will be the same deal when I get the iPhone....

Actually, the data plan on the 3G iPhone is included with the voice plan, not separate, so the FAN discount will apply to the total bill (voice + data). It was only on the original iPhone that the data plan was optional to purchase, so it wasn't eligible for the FAN discount.

BL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.