Checkdisk taking a very long time on a MBP

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by runebinder, Jul 1, 2009.

1. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Hi, tried running a chkdsk /f /r on my late 2008 MBP yesterday. Started around 18:30, it was still running this morning and had only got to stage 4 of 5 and was on 18%, that's over 12 hours!

I'm running Windows 7 64bit RC, and the partition size is 84 GB. My desktop computer on the same o/s and a 150 GB partition, took about 45-50 mins to complete this on the weekend, and I was wondering if any other MBP users had run a full checkdisk and how long it takes on their machines?

Is this usual due to the 5400rpm drive or should I be worried?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would say this is not usual
    Not sure what is going on, but it should not take this long

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. runebinder thread starter macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Cheers, figured that wasn't normal, but this is my first Mac and Notebook so was unsure. I'm going to try and run the Drive Fitness Test as it's an Hitachi HDD and see what that comes up with.

Ran AHT on the weekend and did a thorough scan and that came back clean, so hopefully will be a issue with Windows that a re-install will cure.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Grr. I'll know next time, but I've just run into this on my MBP (6 hours later I'm 93% done on a largely empty 120 GB partition).

Seems like it might be heat related based on information in another thread. The fans are running hard on mine now.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=768536

B

5. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Windows preboot can't control the EFI power management so after a while the fans rev up and the check slows to a crawl. I've sped this up before by quitting the chkdsk with a power off, restarting into osx and use smcfancontrol to set the fans at least 4500 rpm, let the system cool down then restart back into windows for chkdsk.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

7. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

I knew it was groundhog day but couldn't be bothered to look for my old post :) 4 k was enough for my old unibody 2.53 15 but you could always try more if it slows up again..