Checkerboarding in Safari on ipad2 ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FreeLunch1, Mar 13, 2011.

1. FreeLunch1 macrumors member

One of the biggest reasons I'm looking forward to the iPad 2 is no/less checkerboarding. I use Safari a lot and it annoys me if I am trying to surf the web and I have to wait on the iPad. I have Verizon Fios, so I know it's not the speed of my broadband connection.

How has the checkerboarding been on the iPad 2? Is it because of your internet connection?

thanks..

2. biosci macrumors 6502a

Oh when going through large pdfs too. I hate that!

3. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

The speed of your Internet will have a bigger effect on this than your device.:p

4. Mike Reed macrumors regular

So far it's been showing up more rarely for me than the first gen model. I've only encountered it when scrolling quickly on image heavy sites like engadget, but even then I was being slightly impatient and the page was still loading.

I've been very pleased with the improvements to the browsing experience so far.

5. iserian macrumors 6502

Checker's are still here but the frequency is less.

6. M87 macrumors 65816

Oh man, I hate the checker boarding too. I have yet to see it on my iPad 2. On the old iPad I saw it every time I loaded a page. I'm finding the web browsing experience much improved.

7. maclook macrumors 65816

It happens when I scroll up also, which means Safari has already downloaded the page. It's kind of disappointing but not a dealbreaker.

8. JoelMarcey macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

Me too

I get checkering too. Up and down. Especially when I have YouTube videos loading. The first page of my blog has a bunch of YouTube videos and it is checkerboarding a lot. Even when it loads and I scroll away, I come back to the same place and there is checkerboarding. But it does seem as if all images are loading now, even if there is checkerboarding at first.

9. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Every time ? Come on, you're amongst other iPad owners here. No need to exaggerate.

No, it doesn't mean Safari downloaded the page. The ONLY time I get checker boarding is if
    A) I start scrolling before a page loads.
    B) I have multiple pages open, and I scroll too quickly on a LARGE, complex page.

10. thesmoth macrumors 6502

Can anyone confirm that when viewing high res PDF documents in goodreader, if it is still choppy and really checker boardy like the iPad 1?

11. fanboy05 macrumors regular

Yes, i still get checker boarding ... Maybe it is my Internet? But yes, on some sites I see it often, on others not at all.

12. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Here we are trying to shave off a second or two off our web browsing and there are people out there who have never even used 56k.

13. bmat macrumors 6502

Just got it on this thread when I spun down quickly.

14. biosci macrumors 6502a

This is referring to Safari and not the PDFs right?