Checking a macbook before buying

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Germwise, May 21, 2009.

1. Germwise macrumors regular

So I think there have been a couple of threads about this. But I might be about to my a new alu macbook from craigslist I'll try to meet in public and won't have the cash on me but will rather leave it in my car until I agree to buying.

My main concern is how can I check the macbook battery?

Can someone post instructions on the best program (coconut battery?) to check how many cycles the battery has?

Is there a way I can confirm the purchase date?

For a 2 month old macbook how many cycles would you expect on the battery?

How can I check if its stolen before paying for it?

Anything else I should check?

2. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

You can check the MacBok cycles under the Apple Menu in the top left hand corner>About This Mac>More Info>Hardware (on the left side of the screen)>Power>"Heath Information: Cycle Count: xxx" should be visible. No need to download Coconut battery unless you want the age of the Mac. The best way to confirm is for the seller to have the receipt or box which also ensures that the object was not stolen. To double check, you can call Apple and ask about any history of the computer (given the serial number) and if it has been reported as stolen. I would assume a cycle a day, anything less than that is considered excellent. Not that going over that amount is bad.

3. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

1. Open up system profiler and click on power. There it will tell you all you need to know about the battery/how many cycles

2. Coconut battery would make the battery look-up process easier, yes. But you would need an internet connection to download the app.

3. look up the serial number https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

4. I don't know, maybe around 5-25. It really depends on the user though.

5. By calling Apple and having them look up the serial to see if it hasn't been reported stolen. If the seller has the box/install discs/ receipt etc then it's probably safe to assume he didn't steal it.

6. See if it's functioning correctly. Check the specs to see if they're correct. Maybe even open up the back to check if it has the original battery/hard drive.

Also, bring someone with you.

4. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Mine is 3 months, and has 59 cycles... And I usually charge mine once a day.