Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
I have an external drive with all my photos on. I copied them all to a second drive and re arranged them into a better folder structure. However, before I delete the original drive and use the new as my master copy I want to make sure every picture in the original drive has a match in the new drive.

Any idea of software to do this?

I need to be very sure as this is literally every picture I have since birth.

Many thanks

ps
(I have tried importing the new drive to lightroom and then bringing up the import dialogue for the original drive, where don't import duplicates is selected. However, I am not entirely sure this method is foolproof so I need another way to double check).

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
i like gemini for this, but any dupe checker will do it

Duplicate checkers find files which have a match. I need exactly the opposite, for it to show the files which don't have a match.

Can Gemini 2 or any others display those which don't have a match ?

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
I have tens of thousands of images, so I know the feeling.

Consider either not erasing the original drive at all, or picking up another external, cloning the original to it, putting it in a safe place, and only then erasing the original. If your rearrangement didn't miss any pictures, then then you have a useful backup anyway. If, later, you find that you did miss some, then you can go get them.

Yeah, this is kind of kicking the can down the road. But if you're talking about a lifetime's worth of pictures, wouldn't more backups be better? Disks are cheap.

Reactions: xylitol

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I have an external drive with all my photos on. I copied them all to a second drive and re arranged them into a better folder structure. However, before I delete the original drive and use the new as my master copy I want to make sure...

If you copied them all, why are you so worried that rearranging them added more?
Can't you get an overall count of files on both the source and target? If the number matches, then you're good. But you could then use a duplicate finder to confirm that the count is showing you one of each file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.